3839 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mapping an alpha drive thru vpn

larry whitney
Occasional Contributor

mapping an alpha drive thru vpn

hello,
i have an alpha in one office and i want to map a drive on it from another office through vpn. i have 2 smoothwall express 3.0's. they are connected and i can map a XP drive. my alpha support guy says it should work.?? any ideas whee to start
4 REPLIES 4
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

Re: mapping an alpha drive thru vpn

1) Figure out which operating system the ALpha runs (VMS, Tru64, Win NT, Linux).

2) Figure out which drive mapping mechanism you'll be using (Pathworks, SAMBA/CIFS, NFS, PC-NFS, DECdfs etc.).

3) Know what client operating system you want to map the drive from (VMS, Windows, Unix / Linux etc.).

4) Figure out which drive(s) you want to map. Note that what you see as a 'drive' may be a virtual device presented by a storage array controller.

5) Set it up following the appropriate documentation based on exactly what you have and what you need to do.

6) Test it.

7) You're done.

Cheers, Colin (http://www.xdelta.co.uk).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
larry whitney
Occasional Contributor

hey colin,
1-VMS
2-pathworks (DECnet)
3-win XP pro
4-pccommon
5-the big question..i've googled and can't seem to find the right doc. if i can map XP to XP, i would assume something is working
6-test doesn't find alpha drive.

pathworks is working..i can map a local drive on the local alpha, just not the remote alpha

thanks
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

So, you need to read the OpenVMS / Pathworks documentation. Go to the VMS web site (www.hp.com/go/openvms) and follow the links to the on-line documentation, then start reading the Pathworks manuals for the version you're running and follow some of the examples.

Colin.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

1-VMS
2-pathworks (DECnet)

pathworks using NETBUI will not be routed
you may need to configure pathworks over tcp/ip