1748074 Members
5482 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

more than one nic card

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

more than one nic card

we have just added a 3rd cluster member and our vendor can not access this system via VPN... in looking into it I have found the following and I think it is our problem...

$ sh net

Product: DECNET Node: EPICN3 Address(es): 7.21
Product: TCP/IP Node: epicnode3.elliot-hs.org Address(es): 10.10.10.3

it should show ip node name as epicn3.elliot-hs.org and a 170.117 address... not the 10.10 which is our cluster interconnect...

any ideas on how to change it without bouncing the node/cluster?

thanks
Paul
12 REPLIES 12
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: more than one nic card

If the IP address is not correct, use @sys$manager:tcpip$config (or ucx$config if you are at V4.any and not v5.any)
to change the IP address.

the Cluster is concerned by the pair SCSNODE / SCSSYSTEMID, so it is not concerned.

If you change your SCSNODE and/or your Decnet address (which gives the SCSSYSTEMID, a Decnet address of 1.10 gives 1* 1024 + 10 -> 1034 is your SYSTEMID), you must reboot the whole Cluster
Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

the ip goes with each nic card and can not be changed... I don't want a cluster transition to happen...

thanks
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

The protocol used by the Cluster is 60-07, and you can have or have not Decnet, Lat , Tcpip on all of your Cluster members, your Cluster will run fine. You can stop or start Decnet or Tcpip or Lat, the Cluster itself will not be concerned. Of course, if you stop Decnet or Tcpip or Lat, the users or applications using that protocol will be impacted, but not the Cluster.
Try
$ ana/sys
sh lan

and see the protocols you have
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paul,

TCPIP is very flexible. IP adresses are associated with LAN interfaces and you can have more than one LAN interface configured running TCPIP protocols and you can also have multiple IP addresses on one interface.

As Gerard indicated, SDA> SHOW LAN will show you your LAN interfaces and the protocols running on each of them. $ TCPIP SHOW INT will show the TCPIP attributes for your interfaces. If you prefer the U*IX syntax, try

$ @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$DEFINE_COMMANDS
$ ifconfig -a

@TCPIP$CONFIGURE will allow you to change your permanent TCPIP interface config, but you can also manually change your TCPIP config with TCPIP SET INTERFACE ...

From the subject of this entry, it looks like you have more than one NIC card in this system. If TCPIP has not yet been configured on that card, it would be quite easy to use that NIC for the desired 170.117. address - if the physical network config allows it.

Just find out what you have and what you need, then we can tell you the appropriate commands to reconfigure your system.

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

A small point not mention so far is that SHOW NETWORK only shows one IP address and your node may have more than one. TCPIP SHOW INTERFACE will show you currently configured IP addresses on each interface.

ok let's see yes I realize about the cluster transition I had a senior moment :-)

anyways i know that sh net will only show one address but it is the wrong one showing up, it is also showing up as the logical shown below and I need this to be the 170 network...

TCPIP$INET_HOST = "epicnode3"
TCPIP$INET_HOSTADDR = "10.10.10.3"

from what I could gather is that what ever network adapter is configured first in tcpip$config then that is what the default is. I can't change the addresses around they need to stay on the adapters they are on...

so I guess I need to delete them out of config and the host file and add them in the order I need to see them...

thanks
Paul
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paul,

check TCPIP> HELP SET CONF COMM /LOCAL - with this command you can define, which IP address and host name shows up in the TCPIP$INET_HOST* logicals.

If that's what you need...

Volker.
Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

I was told that it doesn't work... by HP Support.

thanks
Paul
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paul,

who am I to question an answer by HP support, but: WHAT DOESN'T WORK ?!

There are a couple of other answers in this forum, which refer to the TCPIP$INET_* logicals in the way they're supposed to work...

Check your config with TCPIP> SHOW CONF COMM and you'll see the 10.10.10.3 address (or epicn3 hostname).

Volker.