Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mounting of sas disks on rx3600

mounting of sas disks on rx3600

we have Rx3600 server running vms 8.3.It has 3 sas hard diks.Some time it chages the id of the hard disk i,e fromm dkc600 to dk1400 or dkc800 in booting process.if any one cam help to solve this problem
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: mounting of sas disks on rx3600

No clustering and no shared and no external storage, right?

Which SAS controller?

RAID?

With classic (parallel, daisy-chain) SCSI, this would usually be a configuration or bus error, under- or over-termination, or a hardware problem of some sort; I've occasionally seen this sort of thing, and it usually tracks back to a bad cable or to flaky hardware. The last time I saw this, a disk was crow-baring the bus. Now with SAS, there's no daisy-chain, so this is probably either a bad disk, or some sort of a controller or host driver problem.

It is also certainly feasible to confuse things with logical names; to define logical names that match the disk device names of other devices.

As a generic recommendation, I'd check for updated firmware for the Integrity rx3600 series box, and any updates related to the controller and its configuration, and for the current OpenVMS patches. If not current, I'd move to current.

Then it's time for a call to your hardware services organization. This might reasonably be a disk, a cable or a controller swap.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

this is the scsi controller and i have installed the system disk on id slot 6,but it shows the id 5.whcih is not under stanable.now i have swap the disk on first id 1 and i am observing the system
Hoff
Honored Contributor

[[[this is the scsi controller]]]

There are several different storage controllers sold with this Integrity rx3600 series box, some have fairly sophisticated capabilities, and it is also easy to add external SCSI (and SAS?) controllers into this box.

By an identification of the particular storage controller here, I or others might be able to spot something at the controller level. I'm somewhat less inclined to research all of the possible controllers that could potentially be involved here.

[[[and i have installed the system disk on id slot 6,but it shows the id 5.whcih is not under stanable.now i have swap the disk on first id 1 and i am observing the system]]]

See if the SAS disk brick is bad, or if the connector is bad. Swap for another brick, and swap for another bay. (Faulty connectors and faulty connections are not unheard of.)