New Discussion юеВ

Re: net::dns

SOLVED
Go to solution
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor
Solution

cpanplus is extraordinarily chatty, but it does often work. The reason it can't find cpanp-run-perl is because we don't define a symbol to it and we can't define a symbol because on VMS the minus sign is an operator.

I did get Net::DNS to install this way (despite the warnings) but it installed the pure Perl version because it has a very Unix-specific method for determining if there is a C compiler.

You can force it to build the XS version by doing

$ perl Makefile.PL --xs
$ mms
$ mms install
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I have installed the missing modules to satisfy dependencies of Net::DNS.

After I've tried to install Net-DNS-0.66 giving the commands:
$ perl Makefile.PL --xs (I obtain "looks good" from check if the kit is complete)
$ mmk
during mmk process I obtain the first error in the attachment.

Instead if I ignore the --xs option for link to the libresolv library, I obtain during mmk test the second error in the attachment.

Ideas?

Regards
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

I would just change the line

#define MAXDNAME 1010

to

#ifndef MAXDNAME
#define MAXDNAME 1010
#endif

and you might report to the module author that he shouldn't blindly redefine macros defined in standard headers.
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Ok, thanks. Now the mmk works but I still have problems during mmk test.
I obtain the error in the attachment and so the process stops before running tests.

Regards
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Actually the output you posted shows that all tests except one passed. The one that didn't pass checks the version numbers of the module's own files, which is really a packaging issue and shouldn't ordinarily affect a programmer who just wants to use the module. And that particular test script (00-version.t) is not portably written -- I would just ignore it and go ahead and install the module. There's a problem with one of 32 test scripts, not necessarily with the module itself.
Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Now it works. Thanks.

Cfabio
Frequent Advisor

Solved