Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Re: new ip assign

The LAN counters look o.k.
Since You say EWA0 is malfunctioning, I would remove it as an IP interface:
TCPIP SET NOINTERFACE WE0
TCPIP SET CONFIG NOINTERFACE WE0
then shutdown/restart TCPIP.
I'm not really experienced in VMS TCPIP, but I can imagine the system tries to use the first interface enabled in the same subnet, the bad one.
Also check the routing tables
TCPIP SHOW ROUTE

Did You try to reach other destinations than the gateway in the same subnet ?
TCPIP SHOW ARP
shows eventually which ones are seen.

http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Also to check:
is the interface raechable from a different system: ping the the new interface (using its IP address, not name).
If it responds, than it is a hint it is working, and should work also outgoing if used, i.e. after EWA0 is disabled.
Deepak Raheja
Frequent Advisor

I have multiple Alpha server DS10 running at various different location. All DS10 servers using 2 Ethernet ports mounted on motherboard only calling LAN-A & LAN-B.
Suppose one site say EF0DS1 running on two LANs (LAN-A & LAN-B) at a remote location. The IPs for LANs are as followings:
EF0DS1 LAN-A ├в 172.16.136.74/26
EF0DS1 LAN-B ├в 172.16.166.74/26

Now EF0DS1 LAN-A became faulty and needs to be replaced so as it is mounted on a motherboard,We added a new Dual SCSI combo Ethernet card in PCI slot.We had that card spare in our stock so we choosed to used it.

Now as I already told it is a remote site,so before sending the card to there,I wanted to check the connectivity of that combo card on my plateform.As like the remote location DS10,I have a DS10 named EA0DS1,again running with two LANs(LAN-A LAN-B)The IPs are as followings

EA0DS1 LAN-A ├в 172.16.128.74/26
EA0DS1 LAN-B ├в 172.16.160.74/26

Now what I did I add my combo Ethernet card on my DS10 server(installed at plateform) and was able to see it in SHOW|MORE
EWC0 (newly installed combo card)

I assigned it a spare IP 172.16.128.111/26 set at FAST FD with LANCP and CORE Environment and INTERFACE options.I reset the DECNET TCPIP services after assigning IP to new card.I am able to see the counters increasing but surprisingly I am unable to ping my cisco switch/router(172.16.128.88/172.16.128.89)

Any Idea why it is not pinging ?

Regards,
Deepak Raheja
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Did You try to remove the WE0 (EWA0) interface ?
Last time You showed EWA0: and EWC0: both connected, and EWA0: still counting.
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Make sure that the gateway addresses are set up correctly as well for the new cards.

Dan
Deepak Raheja
Frequent Advisor

Hello Joseph,
No I didnot remove EWA0(172.16.128.74)it is working as LAN-A (with motherbaord DS10 port)at present situtaion is

EWA0-172.16.128.74/26(working as LAN-A)onboard ethernet
EWB0-172.16.160.74/26(working as LAN-B)onboard ethernet

EWC0-172.16.128.111/26(not working)External card.I used a spare IP from LAN-A series.

Is it requires to unassign EWA0 if I am using a same class spare ip in same machine(for e.g EWC0 here).In other words can't I use two same class ip to access same LAN/Switch ?

Waiting for yours valuable views.

Regards,
Deepak Raheja

I have correctly set the gateway,Dan
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

If EWA0 is working, then no, need not be disabled.
But how do You know EWC0 is not working ?
Since EWA0 and EWC0 is in the same subnet, I assume it will go over EWA0: as long this is working ( I assume LAN failover is not setup according to the interface names).
Is the ping to cisco "not working" t
he only problem, or is there no connection to x.x.128.* at all on the system with working EWA0: ? The LAN counters showed a lot of traffic, both incoming and outgoing.
Are other protocols (Decnet, cluster, LAT) active ?
Deepak Raheja
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Joseph,
When I am removing my LAN-A(172.16.128.74) cable,in that case I should be able to ping my LAN A swich.But it is not pinging however IO counters are increasing.
Is it require to activate some protocols too,yet the same machine is working fine with same class IP i.e LAN-A. or we have to activate the services for each individual physical device say LAN A port,LAN B port, LAN c port. Sorry,But I doubt..
In my sense we needs to activate the protocols for machine specific.doesnot matter how much cards we insert in machine.
Waiting yours feedback.

Regards,
Deepak Raheja

Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

>>
When I am removing my LAN-A(172.16.128.74) cable,in that case I should be able to ping my LAN A swich.
<<
No, since there is no LAN Failover, TCPIP will still trye to use EWA0:.Since You are not willing to disable interface WE0/EWA0 to prove that, I have no more ideas, somebody else ?
>>
Is it require to activate some protocols too,yet the same machine is working fine with same class IP i.e LAN-A. or we have to activate the services for each individual
<<
No, it was just a question: if e.g. DECnet would work, then the it proves the interface is o.k., but IP has a problem.

Also what was the answer to trying to access x.x.128.111 from the outside, i.e. ping from some other node ?
This would also prove the we2/ewc0 interface is o.k.
Deepak Raheja
Frequent Advisor

ok jOSEPH,
I think I should unassign LAN A(172.16.128.74), & then I should check the newly installed card behaviour(172.16.128.111).(ofcourse you were already asked to do)

I will let you know the result after doing the said activity.

Keep in touch

Regards,
Deepak Raheja