New Discussion юеВ

Re: open-closing ip sockets documentation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phillip Tusa
Advisor

open-closing ip sockets documentation

Greetings to all ...

We are currently running 3 Itaniums rx-2620 with OpenVMS v 8.2-1. I am not sure of the version of TCPIP we have loaded.

So here is my delimma ::

I have a need to find an official TCPIP socket
management document as we are trying to show a programmer in another building the more conventional procedure on how to do this. Our application loaded on the Itaniums is ready for production. However, the programmer (in the other building) is opening and closing ip
sockets in a most unconventional manner. Trust me he is making it very difficult for us!

So, can someone provide me an HP or some other
offical TCPIP document that explains clearly on TCPIP socket management?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you;

--
Phil

"I'd rather be a VMS guy, any day of the week!"
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] I am not sure of the version of TCPIP
> we have loaded.

This is not especially tricky:

TCPIP SHOW VERSION

> [...] opening and closing ip
> sockets in a most unconventional manner.

What, exactly, does this mean?

> Trust me he is making it very difficult for
> us!

Trust me, you're not making anything easy
yourself.
Phillip Tusa
Advisor

Thanks for your help, Steven.
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

There are various ways to open and close a socket, and there are any number of platform-specific errors or ways to introduce platform-specific performance problems. There are also generic protocol errors (one of the classic being treating a data stream as a datagram service) around.

Here are the HP manuals, and a path to the HP TCP/IP Services shelf.

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc

The available OpenVMS TCP/IP Services manuals discuss how to use IP and IP sockets (and $qio), and contain less documentation on IP and IP programming and very little on distributed and network programming topics in general.

Beyond a generic pointer to the manuals and platitudes in the topic area, the question is unfortunately unanswerable. We do know that the intrepid socket programmer is located in another building (and why this might be of concern here is not clear to me; different organization? different management? different network? different skill-set? different platform? latency or bandwidth issues?). We also know that there is some concern with how that programmer is using TCP/IP Services socket calls. To better address the question, we are interested in more details around the particular perceived problem here might be, either in general terms, or in terms of the code involved.

--
I really like how StackOverflow deals with this discussion stuff; that software provides a much cleaner interface for programming topics and discussions. In comparison, this current ITRC forum software is increasingly problematic and increasingly limited. Hey, HP, seriously consider using the SO package! Please?

Phillip Tusa
Advisor

Thanks Hoff for your helpful assistance.