5509 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: pathwork problem

Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

KTLAN,

As I'm reading it looks you're using PW32 on youre clients. Why ?
I don't use this for the last years at all. I removed this because it's guiet a problem to manage this if you have a lot of notebooks comming and going. Whe only use AdvancedServer as a big NT (print/filesharing) box. It works very fine whitout the hickups of M$oft.

Only if you're using DECNet or NEEDED the license server you use PW32. If you get the change, get rid of it.
Yes, I'm a VERY happy AdvancedServer user for the last 15 years (PW/AS)

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Rupert, Pathworks 32 ships in the quarterly SPL or can be ordered individually.

Anton, I use Pathworks 32 on Windows sytems to capture graphics and store them on Pathworks shares. By not enabling TCPIP on the Windows system, I elminate many of virus propigation paths. No Internet Explorer, no Outlook Express no tcp/ip worms. . . Once configured and licensed these system behave.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi Ktlan,

a.) Get your server licenses cleaned up.
b.) I concurr with the suggestion to investigate getting rid of the client licenses
at all. If you just want to do file/print serving from Advanced server to W2k client PCs they are not required. If DECnet enters the game this changes...

As for workarounds:

- Is the file compressed? If not Zip it, maybe it shrinks under the limit causing problems.
- Do not Drag'n'Drop but use regular FTP from the commandshell. At least you should get
clear errors that way ;-)

Greetings, Martin
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

Anton, Martin,

I'm under impression that your suggestions slightly mix two different terms (and that may be confusing for the original question's author):

1) Pathworks client software (PW32), which may or may not be installed on the PC side;

2) LAN Manager License _requester_ - part of the above-mentioned Pathworks client. Again, when the client is being installed, a system administrator may or may not install this license requester.

From the license usage standpoint, it doesn't matter for Pathworks server whether PW client (PW32) is installed on a PC or not. What makes the difference is License requester. If it is installed, it always allocates a client-type (dedicated) license for the PC and gets it from the "default" license group. If it is NOT installed, Pathworks server tries to use a free license from the "Server-Based" license group.

Summarizing the above-said: when you want a particular PC to have a guaranteed connection, install license requester on it and use client-based licensing scheme on the server. If you want to maximize server's capacity (limitation by concurrent connections), don't install the license requester on the PCs and use "server-based" licensing scheme. Licenses can be same (if they're PWLMXXXCA type), it all depends on the license group they belong to. Leave them in "default" group and they'll act as client-based licenses. Move them into "Server-Based" group and they'll function as server-based ones. One may also mix these two schemes as he/she wishes.

Cheers,
Dima
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

All...

>From the license usage standpoint, it
>doesn't matter for Pathworks server whether
>PW client (PW32) is installed on a PC or
>not. What makes the difference is License
>requester. If it is installed, it always
>allocates a client-type (dedicated) license
>for the PC and gets it from the "default"
>license group. If it is NOT installed,
>Pathworks server tries to use a free
>license from the "Server-Based" license
>group.

This is basically correct, with one missing, but important point. If the PATHWORKS server is not running the License Server, then there will be no client based license allocated. Without the License Server running, you are essentially forcing all the DEFAULT group licenses to be server based.

Brad McCusker
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International