108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

pathworks licenses

robert70
Valued Contributor

pathworks licenses

I have recently migrated Pathworks 6.0c
to 7.3B
I had 400 units of license pwlmxxxca07.03 with he old pathworks - these work with the new install also
I have requested a temp set of licenses from HP which give me another 3000 licenses until 21-dec-10 - 60 day

In a few weeks i will be receiving another 13 pwlmxxxca07.03 licenses to give me a total of 4+13 = 17 users

i cant seem to be able to get both the temp licenses and the current 4 licenses available on pathworks at the same time?

I either get the temp license only........

View Actions Options Help тФВ
тФВ List of License Products тФВ
тФВтФМProductтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАTotalтФАтФАтФАтФАIn UseтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАAvailтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАAlertтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФАтФРтФВ
тФВтФВPWLMXXXCA07.03 3000 1 2999 0

or i get the 400 units of old license

cant seem to get them both available via admin/lice at the same time?
do the temp licenses override any live ones?

13 REPLIES 13
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Re: pathworks licenses

Hello Robert70,

Ah, PATHWORKS licensing - I don't miss dealing with those issues. PATHWORKS is probably the only product that has a seperate book dedicated to licensing. Ugh.

Is this the only server in your network? If so, turn off the darn license server, it just complicates matters. But, if you insist on using the license server, read on...

I think your problem is that the licenses haven't synched yet (they may have synched by now, if you let things sit over night). Check out section 3.5.2 in this book: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/documentation/pdf/adsrv_gd_manage_lic.pdf.

Essentially, you need to set PWRK$LsLmfSynchMinutes to cause a synchronization to happen at a more convenient time than 12:01 AM (the default).

That logical name, and other logicals you can have fun with, are documented in the license startup routines, i.e. PWRK$LICENSE_S_START.COM and PWRK$LICENSE_R_START.COM.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we can dig deeper.

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Robert,

One more thing - You might have to combine the licenses. I'm a little vague on this point, I just don't recall the specifics.

$ LICENSE MODIFY /COMBINE

Brad McCusker
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Kelly Stewart_1
Frequent Advisor

Robert,

What are the exact commands or menu options you are using to register, load, and enable the PAKs?

We do that part with LICENSE commands in a command file. It registers all the PAKS, then does a single LICENSE LOAD PWLMXXXCA7.02 (in our case) with no qualifiers. However I have a vague memory that in some circumstances, you need to LOAD each PAK individually with the /AUTH qualifier.

By the way, you're lucky to be getting new PAKs at all. For our last Pathworks upgrade, it took about a year for HP to actually make the PAKs for us.
robert70
Valued Contributor

thanks Brad

"Is this the only server in your network?"

No it isnt we have 2 - one on our live box one on our test box -

"If so, turn off the darn license server"

if i do that I cant connect my PC to shares on the Alpha? Is there another way to do that ?

robert70
Valued Contributor

brad
i get this when im trying to combine -

$license modify/combine pwlmxxxca07.03
%license-w-ambig, information provided was ambiguous; multiple licenses were found for pwlxxxca07.03
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>if i do that I cant connect my PC to shares on the Alpha? Is there another way to do that ?

Probably not the answer you want...

Shut down the PATHWORKS Server, and migrate to and use the (free) HP CIFS package to serve the shares?

At least you're then tussling with somewhat more current and rather more widely-used software (CIFS is Samba), and tussling with what HP indicates is the replacement path for PATHWORKS Server.

And there are no licensing servers nor PAKs with CIFS.

Given you have HP support, get the CIFS 1.2 kit and whatever is the current patch.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>$license modify/combine pwlmxxxca07.03
%license-w-ambig, information provided was ambiguous; multiple licenses were found for pwlxxxca07.03

Add /AUTH=target-pak-auth-string-here

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/i64os/opsys/vmsos84/4584/4584pro_005.html
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>And there are no licensing servers
>nor PAKs with CIFS

C'mon Hoff - think of all the fun he'd miss out on ;^)

I actually do agree with Hoff, if you can move to CIFs, do it.

Back to your issue however, you need to use something else to identify the license you are modifying, typically you would use the /AUTH qualifer.

Brad McCusker
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
robert70
Valued Contributor

THANKS ALL

i do this

$ license modify/combine/auth=***-**-**********-*-* PWLMXXXCA07.03

and then

$license UNLOAD PWLMXXXCA07.03

then

$license LOAD PWLMXXXCA07.03
%LICENSE-I-LOADED, DEC PWLMXXXCA07.03 was successfully loaded with 270000 units
%LICENSE-I-LOADED, DEC PWLMXXXCA07.03 was successfully loaded with 400 units
%LICENSE-I-LOADED, DEC PWLMXXXCA07.03 was successfully loaded with 30000 units

but when i go into the ADMIN/LICE still only showing the emergency licenses 300,000 units
the other 400 units (which will be the live license) not showing

we are going to upgrade to CIFS next year but this is just a temp upgrade phase