1753444 Members
4678 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: pathworks licenses

Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Oh - regarding shutting down the license server.

If you do have multiple servers, then yes, the license server is needed to 'serve' licenses to the clients. The clients then use the single (100 unit) license they've been 'served' to connect to multiple different PATHWORKS servers. Just 100 units allows the client to connect to as many servers and he can find.

I assume you've only got one system running the license server and all of your PWLMXXXCA07.03 PAKs are loaded on that one server (and NONE are loaded on the other server)?

Another way to think of the license server is to consider the following example. Imagine you have two VMS systems (NOT clustered) and 10 clients. You want all 10 clients to be able to connect to shares on both servers. If you use "server based" licensing (which means you do NOT run the license server), you need 1000 units of PWLMXXXCA07.03 license on EACH server. A total of 2000 units. As each client connects to either machine, the License Registrar 'consumes' 100 units of license capacity on behalf of the client connection.

If you use "client based" licensing, you need to have 1000 units of PWLMXXXCA07.03 license loaded on the one server running the license server. When a client connects, if he hasn't already obtained a license from the license server, he requests the license which he then keeps in his cache (on the client). Now, each time he connects to a PATHWORKS share, he presents that cached license and is granted access. He presents the same license to any server he connects to. 10 clients in our example only need 10*100 units or 1000 units total.

Clear as mud?

Hard to belive we actually used to do DECUS session focused on this stuff, huh?

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
robert70
Valued Contributor

ITS WORKING NOW
i did the combine command as above but with the license pak that wasnt showing up on the ADMIN/LICE product list now i see 3004 licenses avaialble (eg my 4 real license and the 3000 emergency ones ) thats great have another 13 real licenses on order say when they arrive can presumably combine these with the 4 existing in the same way
cheers all for help
robert
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Robert,

A couple things.

To combine licneses, the following must be the same on each license:

Product name
Producer
Availability
Activity
Key Options: RESERVE_UNITS, USER, NO_SHARE (assigned node must match), ALPHA, or VAX_ALPHA
Product Token
Hardware-ID

Then you need to do the license /combine to each license PAK.

To see if they've combined, when you do the "$ license load pwlmxxxca07.03", you should see just one license load statement with the total number of units. If you don't see that, then, they didn't combine. You can also type "SHOW LICENSE PWLMXXXCA.07.03" to hopefully see one license with the total units.

Once they are combined (and I'm sorry to say I am not certain combining is still required), then you still need to tweak the "synch" logical I mentioned above to get them to show up in the license server.

Brad McCusker
www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Hans Hosang
Frequent Advisor

This all sounds a bit complicated.
The command
$ lic mod /combine PWLMXXXCA07.03
simply accepts the switch /all.
No need to do difficult things with /auth...

BUT, please remember that, if you combine, the expiration date of 21-dec-10 will also apply to the permanent licenses until you do a /nocombine (also with /all).

so, once you receive your new premanent licenses, do the /nocombine and unload the temp ones.

Hope this helps you out.
Hans Hosang.
OpenVMS -Windows - UNIX integration