108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: pcsi error after patch install VMS732_PCSI V6.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
sandyt
Frequent Advisor

pcsi error after patch install VMS732_PCSI V6.0

I installed the pcsi patch v6.0 for vms 7.3-2 and did a logoff/logon, after the installation did not report any errors

Now when I try and do anything with product (e.g. show history, show utility, etc) get the following:

%CLI-F-SYNTAX, error parsing 'TRACEPOINT'   

-CLI-E-ENTNF, specified entity not found in command tables   

Can't even do product undo ...

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Hoff
Honored Contributor

These sorts of errors are usually an indication of skewed command tables; the tool is newer than the command table loaded into the current process, and the command processing unfortunately doesn't return a decent error message.  Logging out and back in again loads a new command table, and (with a "normal" configuration) resolves this.  Since it didn't...

There can be some other triggers for this stuff, and some system managers have gotten themselves into somewhat of a tangle with different versions and different contents of the DCL command tables.  Look for files located in SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSLIB]DCLTABLES.EXE and SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DCLTABLES.EXE.  Or look for an unexpected version of DCLTABLES.EXE installed.  (This all can be somewhat "fun" to untangle, and things can get particularly "interesting" when this arises within a cluster.)

Failing that (and as is the usual expectation and current practice with VMS and with the HP escalation process these days) ring up HP support (or your preferred support provider) and have them untangle this for you. 

You can also pull out the PRODUCT verb using the VERB utility (via the verb tool available on the OpenVMS Freeware, for the live system) and have a look at the definition.  You can also use a spare VMS system and its PCSI tool to pull the CLD out of the kit.   But I'd look for skewed DCLTABLES images first.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

sandyt,

if you would really want/need to, you can still remove/undo the patch using the /REMOTE qualifier. But you need to boot from the OpenVMS Operating system CD to be able to do that. Or run from another system disk, if this system is part of a cluster with multiple system disks.

see $ HELP PRODUCT UNDO PATCH /REMOTE

Volker.

sandyt
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Thanks for the reply Hoff! I tried fixing it using your suggestions, and in the end opened up a case with our hp support.

Obviously the solution was very simple--the product install hadn't done the install replace of dcltables.exe. as it should have leaving a nonexistent dcltables.exe installed rather than the new one. install rep dcltables.exe fixed the problem.

I would award you points, but I don't see how to do that in this new system, nor how to close it either...

Hoff
Honored Contributor

That the tool didn't reinstall the command tables (or toss out a diagnostic pointing to the problem) is a rather significant error.  (I'd hope there's a newer patch kit on the way.)   While you're at this, look at the global pages configuration, as that's a common trigger for weird install failures; there's little harm in severely over-configuring that parameter on modern server configurations; when your server has a sane amount of physical memory.   (See the GBLPAGES and GBLSECTIONS parameters.)

Points?  Fuggedaboutit.   (I'd hoping HP decides to roll out something based on Stack Overflow, rather than this current user- and brand-hostile mess.)

JanvdBoogaard
Advisor

After installing the patch VMS732_PCSI V6.0 , you should log out and login again.  Its in the release notes of the patch.  Rebooting is not needed. 

This applies to all PCSI patches , of all versions.