Super Advisor

pka0:

Hi,

When I execute the followng command:

$ show error

I got following outout:

Device Error Counf
osfs2$pka0: 11

I have never seen the error before. Is it a serious problem or?? If I execure analyze/error/include=pka0: I got a long list with text. Any comments?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: pka0:

Geir,

PKA0: is a SCSI bus adapter. There could be errors on the adapter itself, the SCSI bus or one of the devices on the SCSI bus. Use $ ANAL/SYS -> SDA> CLUE SCSI/SUMM to find out, which devices are connected to the PKA SCSI bus.

DECevent V3.4 is probably the best tool for analyzing SCSI related errors.

Volker.
Guillou_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

attach the result of the command and we can analyze the problem

if you have decevent try diagnoze

regards

Steph
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Is it harmless to execute or run analyze/system on a running system?

Is it the only choice to find the reason for the error?

Is it possible to reset the error log afterwords.

Geir

PS:
Sorry for the delay :-)
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

running ANAL/SYS cannot cause any problems. It just reads system data structures and cannot modify them.

Recent versions of OpenVMS would allow you to reset the device error count with SET DEV/RESET=(ERROR_COUNT) PKA0:

To find the reason for the error, you have to install DECevent V3.4 and translate the PKA0 errors from ERRLOG.SYS

Volker.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

running ANAL/SYS cannot cause any problems. It just reads system data structures and cannot modify them.

---

Taken literally, that statement is true, since all you've done is activate a few images.

However there are some SDA extensions that (on a runnning system) will allocate pool and modify memory (the DKDRIVER logging tool) or even modify the default behaviour of certain device drivers (the FC SDA extensions, for example).

-- Rob