New Discussion юеВ

pool expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

pool expansion

Hello,
While running standalone backup. First tape in and there is an error message saying
%system-w-poolexpf, pool expansion failure
what is that mean ? The tk50 still spinning is that still ok to continue or it will stall later
Thanks !
SCC
13 REPLIES 13
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

Re: pool expansion

From HELP/MESSAGE POOLEXPF
User Action:
"Try increasing the value of the SYSGEN parameter NPAGEDYN to reduce the need for pool expansion. If the problem recurs, consider adjusting the system parameter WSMAX or getting more memory for the system."

Running an AUTOGEN to see what the system recommends is a good 1st start. I have attached a command procedure (called .TXT for uploading) we use to run autogen, produce report & compare the changes SYSGEN wants to make. If we accept the changes they will be saved. then all you have to do is reboot.

"Difficult to see, always in motion is the future..."
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

Hello John,
That is my problem. I can't get into my system at all, since there are some data/file sharing the same block, can't reboot at all. The only way I can get to the $ sign is to boot up from a standalone backup tape. Trying to backup the files before I reload an older files (image backup) and this error message show up.

maybe I have to find a company to recover the data for me.
comarow
Trusted Contributor

If you have a CD or can get one, you can boot the OS CD and then clean up the problem from there.

Bob
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

What type of system is this?

You should be able to boot to SYSBOOT and check your parameters from there. If NPAGEDYN is low bump it up some. If you don't know who to do this write us back, but we need to know what kind of system it is.

The boot string depends upon the server type, on alpha DS25 its "boot -fl 0,1" gets you to SYSBOOT
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

I can get to the sysboot, the system is a micro vax II running vms V5.2
SCC.

P.S I am guesting the header table from the disk might damage to cause this. (I hope not)
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

In sysboot> now how to check and set it ?
Thanks !
SCC
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor
Solution

SYSBOOT> SHOW NPAGEDYN
SYSBOOT> SET NPAGEDYN 10000
SYSBOOT> CONTINUE

You want to do small increments on NPAGEDYN cause I don't know how much memory you have.
Same with WSMAX. YOu also might want to boot minimum by doing the following before the CONTINUE:
SYSBOOT> SET STARTUP_P1 "MIN"
SCC_2
Frequent Advisor

do a show/all
it show me the npagedyn
835584 current
300032 default
16386 min
-1 max
Thanks !
Spencer
comarow
Trusted Contributor

BTW, you can build standalone backup on another disk, or another root on your system disk. It is much faster than booting from tape.

When it boots standalone backup, even from your system disk, it copies it into memory,
(a RAM disk) which can then backup itself.
You can permanently change the sysgen parameters for that root.

You should know that for later versions of VMS, stand alone backup is no longer supported, and the use of a CD is recommended.

CDs are cheap. And, they are much safer to work with, since you get a minimal amount of VMS, so you can check the backup, mount a new disk and perform various operations, such as anal/disk/repair on the disk.