108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: port allocation class

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, but CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM does not support DV or DQ devices. Setting the port allocation class of these non-shared devices to 0 can be important to avoid device name conflicts in the cluster that would prevent MSCP serving.

So in this case the only options left are to EDIT SYS$DEVICES.DAT or use the SYSBOOT> SET /CLASS console commands. Personally I thinks editting a text file myself is safer than depending on console commands to do it for me. With the console command methood I won't even have a chance to look at the file before it is used for booting.
I have one, but it's personal.
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Regarding the editing of SYS$DEVICES.DAT: i once wrote a DCL tool to standardize and automate the construction of this file based upon discovery of certain hardware that I was interested in. Initially it didn't work - though the records written by the tool were individually correct, the portion of the bootstrap that read the file wasn't interested in the VFC format that DCL used to create the file - it wanted carriage-return control (like the editors are want to use). I had to have the tool CONVERT the file after writing it with DCL. fwiw...
Gregg Parmentier
Frequent Advisor

more than enough information from y'all.