New Discussion юеВ

printing out of polycenter

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kirk Reindl
Frequent Advisor

printing out of polycenter

Hi:

I can print a text file to a print queue from the command line without a problem. However when I try to print to the same print queue via PolyCenter (Historial performance product) my job never prints. (No error or anything) As a system admin, how would I interrogate a print log in VMS that might give me a clue as to why my job hasn't printed.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: printing out of polycenter

You _may_ find information in accounting, if no information exists in operator ort other logfiles. Which one may depend on your settings.
If all fails, it may be advisabel to tuen image accounting on (take a VERY quit period!) to test it; also, if not yet done, auditing may be helpful as well. But I'd go for accounting first.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi ,

I have not used the above tool, but if you are sure that your job has gone somewhere, then you can track ( find ) the job with $sho que/all/device command . Just do

$sho que/all/device/out=a.out
$sear a.out

or

$pipe sh que/all/dev | sear sys$pipe

Also, is it possible to post the queue configuration here , and the DCL command you are using to print . Also , if possible post here how you submit the print command from your polycenter tool.

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

To use accounting
ACCOUNT/QUEUE=quename/SINCE=datetime/TYPE=PRINT

If the job reached the queue then there should be a print job termination record in the accounting file.

Can you supply details of how you are requesting the print from polycenter performance advisor?

Hi,
to view quickly type
$ SHOW ENTRY /NOBATCH
This command show all entry in all printing que running.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Kirk,

did you explicitly set the print queue in Polycenter? If not it most probably uses sys$print, which might point to the bit bucket.

If not try to print to file first, then submit the printjob via the commandline for further troubleshooting (I am not suggesting this is a solution, but just as a way to narrow down the problem).

Greetings, Martin
Kirk Reindl
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the responses.

When I send the job from polycenter which I'm running in a GUI, it doesn't even return a job number. Maybe it doesn├в t even make it to the queue.

OSIJX1> account/queue=nb1/since=21-jan-2004/type=print
OSIJX1>

Here is the queue config.

OSIJX1> show que /full NB1
Printer queue NB1, idle, on OSIJX2::"HP1NB:9100", mounted form DEFAULT2 (stock=DEFAULT)

/AUTOSTART_ON=(OSIJX2::"HP1NB:9100") /BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FORM=DEFAULT2 (stock=DEFAULT)) /LIBRARY=HP5LASER Lowercase
/OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /SEPARATE=(RESET=(RESET))
OSIJX1>

Here is the dcl command I use to print from the dcl prompt. (this is part works no problem)
OSIJX1> print/queue=NB1 textfile.txt

Regarding the print request from polycenter, all I├в m doing is a File--> Print--├Г > theN for the printer I key in NB1. The PC seems to acknowledge the request but nothing h
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

It looks like queue NB1 is ok.

Is there a SYS$PRINT and where does it go to.

Respondents:

I'm not able to further troubleshoot this at the present time, due to higher priority issues. I appreciate all responses.

Regards,
Kirk Reindl
Thomas Simpson
Advisor

The basic problem is that the ECP output files you are trying to print are postscript. The real answer is that you need to install DCPS and setup a queue to a postscript printer.
You are licensed for the DCPS product.