1752379 Members
6110 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

problem configuring fibre channels

Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

Re: problem configuring fibre channels

No I do not have a manual. Someone just gave me this box some weeks ago.

Jouk

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: problem configuring fibre channels

If you have supported hardware, then the FC SAN configuration process (once the WWID scan is performed) will usually and more-or-less work, within the (many) limits of the various FC SAN management interfaces.

If you don't have supported hardware, then this process tends to turn into an adventure.  And sometimes this turns into a much bigger adventure.

Like EFI, there isn't much chance of forward progress with a FC SAN configuration, short of acquiring and reading through the product management manuals, without at least some experimentation, and without digging around in log files, and short of some familiarity with how this stuff "should" work from experience within a supported FC SAN configuration.  This is one of the areas where unsupported gear becomes particularly problematic, too, as there are no OS-specific manuals for the products available for reference, too.

As for general I/O device compatibility, VMS pushes a SAN controller.  Hard.  This has uncovered bugs within the VMS I/O stack, and has also uncovered bugs in various SAN controllers, and these have variously involved SAN controller firmware upgrades.

I'd look to acquire or to swap for one of the (supported) MSA widgets.

Given you'll not likely be dissuaded from your quest, you'll want to dig around for how to enable and use some of the WWID-mapping stuff on other non-supported FC SAN controllers; how to get the devices visible on an arbitrary SAN controller, and how to map the units to the devices.  This can be using mapping features in the particualr SAN controller, or using the SYS$SYSTEM:SYS$DEVICES.DAT mapping.  Here is an IBM FC SAN write-up on configuring for OpenVMS, and there are other similar discussions around.  

Get the manuals for the devices that you have, and start digging.

The FC SAN configuration mechanisms remind me of another of my other favorite reference for problematic user interface designs, EFI.   Both could be vastly better.

Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

Re: problem configuring fiber channels

Even getting manuals can be problematic:

the only "useful" information on DS2400 at the HP-website is the following:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=81150&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01825151

Jouk

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The HP A6214A DS2400 series "DS 2400 JBOD" is not supported on VMS.

It's too old to have ever been supported with VMS for that matter, based on the various publication dates I can locate.  

Which means sell it, or swap it.  Or maybe use it with HP-UX, where it might have been supported, if you have the right controller.  

This particular hardware looks to be a component of the HP Virtual Array 7000-series (VA 7000-series) storage system and largely documented as part of that configuration, based on what little information in posted around the network.

Related reading: http://www.filibeto.org/unix/hp-ux/lib/hardware/storage/va7110/lpg60187.pdf

Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

Jouk,

as others have said before, this controller is not supported on VMS. The problem is that this controller cannot assign an identifier to a logical unit which is something that vms needs. Without that you will not see any unit appear.

To comment on earlier notes that a switch needs to assign an identifier, that is not true. A switch does not come into play with this, it is just the controller which has the iissue.

Also, sysman io find_wwid is just for tapes. For disks you should just use sysman io autoconfigure.

Having said that, I just completed work on a real virtual firbre channel emulation in an Alpha emulator which has the capabilitiy to use such a controller on vms (I have a similar one for testing). I can simply map luns to identifiers and use the controller that way. But that is not going to help you.

Jur.

Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

Jur,

Does this not help me because I'm running on a Itanium

Would it help if I put the controler card into an XP1000?

Jouk

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jouk,

don't you understand, what Jur's written ?

<quote>

this controller is not supported on VMS. The problem is that this controller cannot assign an identifier to a logical unit which is something that vms needs. Without that you will not see any unit appear.

</quote>

The controller is lacking a critical piece of functionality, which is REQURIED for OpenVMS (either Alpha or Itanium) to use any disks on that SAN controller.

You could try to find an Alpha or VAX emulator, which supports this DS2400 SAN controller and configure it to run OpenVMS and MSCP-serve the disks to your Itanium. Or connect this controller to any other operating system, which supports it and access the disks via NFS.

Volker.

Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

Volker,

ofcourse I understand that the hardware I have is not supportded, but Jur suggests in his comment that the software he just wrote for an Alpha-simulation should also work for a simillar controller I use.

Jouk

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jouk,

Jur is working on an Alpha emulator.

http://www.avtware.com/

You could buy that emulator, once the version supporting the 'virtual Fibre Channel adapter' has been released and then use that Alpha emulator to run OpenVMS Alpha in a cluster with your Itanium systems and MSCP-serve the disks from your DS2400.

But what Jur is working on will not help you for OpenVMS I64.

There may also be other VAX or Alpha emulators, which may support LUNs on that DS2400 (check FreeAXP or PersonalAlpha, maybe even simh). The operating system running 'below' those emulator must be able to access the LUNs on the DS2400 and must also be able to present them in a useable fashion to the operating system running on top of the emulator.

Volker.

Jansen_8
Regular Advisor

OK, understood

I'll try to find a machine running some OS to which one of the FC cards fits that I have on stock. abnd than try some alpha emulation.

Jouk