108799 Solutions
New Discussion

putty/LAT

SOLVED
Go to solution
tl123
Occasional Advisor

putty/LAT

Hi, I support a legacy system running VMS8.2-1. The system is overseas and I use putty to connect to an IP address having first connected to the customer's VPN.

While I was onsite recently I was using an emulator called powerterm to connect to their servers via LAT. The customer pays for a powerterm licence. Putty is free. I don't know much about LAT but I believe it is a DEC specific means of communication.

I would like to be able to connect to the servers using putty. LAT is not part of the default version of putty. Does anyone know of a custom version which enables LAT? Alternatively, is there a free emulator which contains LAT functionality.

2 REPLIES 2
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: putty/LAT

tl123,

welcome to this OpenVMS community.

LAT is a protocol developed by Digital (LAT = Local Area Transport) a couple of decades ago. As this is a proprietary protocol, it seems unlikely to be available in a free product.

PowerTerm itself does not include LAT protocol drivers, but it can use them, if they are installed on the local PC from the Pathworks 32 Client CD (licensed with Pathworks).

Volker.

tl123
Occasional Advisor

Re: putty/LAT

thanks for the explanation Volker. I'll close this