1753776 Members
7426 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

query

Rajneesh Malhotra

query

I have alphaserver ES40. How can i support to maintain this server.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: query

Could you be more specific, please?
Do you have any problems to solve?

regards Kalle
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

I have a Honda Civic. How can I support to maintain this car.

How would you answer that question? Then maybe we will be able to understand what you are asking.
it depends
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Like ANY tool - computer, car, chainsaw, hammer - you need to have at least some understanding on what is is, what it does, how it works and how it should be operated.
No doubt you can cut a tree with a ES40, some way or the other. I think a chainsaw is a better tool for that.

What do you want to support: The ES40 itself (the hardware), the OS used (OpenVMS, TRU64?, Linux?), your applications?

The one and only answer I can can give you is EDUCATE YOURSELF.
The HP site has sufficient material to get used to hard- and software; there are numerous locations worldwide that supply training. Don't go for cheap: go for quality. It may cost you (or your company) time and money but a good system manager is worth his weight in gold, if things go terribly wrong.
Don't think to be there in one year. Even seasoned system managers learn every day (in forlums like this)

WG
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Get help.

Work with your employer, here.

That unless you're planning on embarking on a multi-year learning experience about (I assume) OpenVMS Alpha and about the AlphaServer hardware.

If you are seeking to immerse yourself toward this end and toward this pool of knowledge, the AlphaServer server documentation is available from HP, and you'll want to start with the OpenVMS User's Guide and then OpenVMS System Manager's Manual.

There are OpenVMS training courses available, if that's how you prefer to learn.

Should you be seeking to support a customer here, get help now (either from your employer, or from an external resource), particularly while you work your way toward the necessary level of expertise that most customers expect. You'll need access to an organization or individual that can provide a backstop for any gaps in your developing knowledge.

Learning and operating and efficiently managing OpenVMS and maintaining VAX, Alpha and Itanium hardware can easily be a year or (often) more to reach journeyman-level skills with a typical OpenVMS Alpha environment.

And welcome to ITRC.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC