New Discussion юеВ

Re: question on mount verification loop

SOLVED
Go to solution
antonio elder prado
Regular Advisor

question on mount verification loop

Hi,
when i boot my ovms 8.2 (on ia64, rx2600) it goes on mountver ovms$dka100 is offline
mount verification in progress
and keeps on repeating forever never timing out. (i left it running for more than 3 hours)

i did try to ^p however it gives me on
(crash y/n), if i select y writes the dump and exits it out to rebooting with the same result,
if i select n goes back to the endless loop of offline, mount verification.

i do have a ovms 8.3 CDs, and i was able to get the $$$ prompt where i could see the IPC (by ^p) but cannnot cancel the mounting because the mounting verification is not being performed, and i am not familiar with the ovms and do not know much what to do that can break the mount verification when booting out of the disk.

can you please guide me on what to do?

thank you in advance,
./antonio/.
22 REPLIES 22
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

That VMS is too old to have the ^P stuff; that got added with V8.2-1 release.

That mount verification behavior is usually indicative of a storage connection problem, or of a disk or SCSI controller or SCSI bus hardware error.

With this also running V8.2, this could well be software, too; there have been a number of fixes to SCSI, both with ECOs and UPDATE kits, and with the V8.3 or V8.3-1H1 releases.

Make sure the disk is seated and latched.

Swap the disk. See if the error moves with the slot.

What's the history of this disk?

Any hardware errors being logged by OpenVMS?

Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

A device enters into mount verification state when device becomes inoperative. This might occur in the following instances:

1. The device is accidentally placed off line.
2. The active port of the drive fails.
3. A hardware error occurs.
4. The device is set to write protected during a write operation.

When the device comes back on line, either through automatic failover or operator intervention, the operating system validates the volume.

Regards,
Ketan
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

A mount-verification is triggered by certain classes of disk IO errors. OpenVMS tries to re-establish or verify the IO path to and the contents (volume label etc.) of the disk, which caused the IO error. To further analyze these mount-verifications and trying to find the underlying reason, look at OPERATOR.LOG entries and ERRLOG entries (using DECevent or WEBES/SEA) on the OpenVMS systems.

Regards,
Ketan
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Please refer the below link. It explains typical causes for mount verification.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_9804.html

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Ketan
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Few more links on similar topics.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_8101.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_9095.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_8764.html

Also there are lots of discussions on similar topics in ITRC. Search them using the string mount verification.

Regards,
Ketan
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

if you can boot from the OpenVMS I64 V8.3 CD, try mounting your 'failing' system disk.

MOUNT/FOREIGN will just access the disk. It will probably fail, if it can't read the disk. If it succeed, dismount the disk and try to fully MOUNT it.

$$$ MOUNT/FOR DKA100:
$$$ DISM/NOUNL DKA100:

$$$ MOUNT/OVER=ID/NOASSI DKA100:

Mount-verifications only happen on fully mounted disks as a reaction to certain disk-IO errors.

Volker.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Make sure you don't have an error light on the disk. Power down and/or swap the disk to a different slot.

And of course try an updated release of VMS and make sure your patches up to date.

Did this disk log errors before failure? And finally, do you have a current backup of the disk?
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I don't think Ketan knows. :-)
Hoff
Honored Contributor

(about the origin of all that cited stuff, that is.)