1752812 Members
6110 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Remote access disabled" after OpenVMS/Alpha 7.3-2 upgrade

Frank E. Troth
Occasional Contributor

"Remote access disabled" after OpenVMS/Alpha 7.3-2 upgrade

After upgrading a 7.3 DS20E system to 7.3-2, I get "remote access disabled" messages attempting SET HOST 0 and TELNET 0 commands, after I enter the username and password (SYSTEM so far). I also can't ping or telnet to the system from outside. I can ping the gateway from outside. (I also did the 7.1 firmware upgrade before the upgrade.) I looked around the HP NLSA and the FAQ, but no specifically related issues, mostly terminal servers and browsers.

Another symptom was that after the upgrade, the boot would hang in the tcpip startup timing out on a number of username proxies, but it seems to have magically gotten over that.

I have not tuned it other than what the initial post-upgrade reboot took it through. Thanks in advance, Frank
3 REPLIES 3
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: "Remote access disabled" after OpenVMS/Alpha 7.3-2 upgrade

Frank,

could you please literally copy the message you're receiving ? Ideally both the command and the error message (via cut and paste) from your terminal session.

This may help identify, which component of the system is rejecting your login.

Can you ping the gateway from your upgraded node ? Does UCX SHOW INT show a working IP interface ? Are all required licenses loaded ?

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Frank,

typically TCPIP bootstrap taking LONG during proxy processing indicates that a DNS lookup is being done, waiting to time out, and repeat for the next proxy. If you have more than a few proxies...
So it seems that your network setup went wrong somewhere.

Is your network hardware functioning?
You may want to try using SYSGEN STARTUP_P2 for more info from the bootstrap.
HELP will indicate the different levels available.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me (maybe at the Bootcamp in Nashua?)
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Frank E. Troth
Occasional Contributor

Turns out we had three issues to resolve:

Firmware upgrade had set 10/100 card to 100mbit, and it was previously 10mbit, and the CAT5000 port it was plugged into was set to 10mbit, not autonegotiate. We noticed on boot it was at 100mbit, and the regular sysadmin remembered the card it was plugged into was only 10mbit ports, so we plugged it into a 100mbit port and that problem was fixed.

Tcpip: gateway was not set correctly, it had been set correctly before the VMS upgrade, so another gotcha there. Got that fixed; during the upgrade it had gotten set to the node name not the .1 address we typically use.

The SYSTEM account was in fact disabled for remote logins, so the explains the "remote access disabled" message, as it turned out.

Thanks for the input from those who contributed, it was not a trivial solution.