1753894 Members
7377 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "SET DCL/SPELL"

Derek Garson
Frequent Advisor

"SET DCL/SPELL"

Anyone heard anything about whether "SET DCL/SPELL" will ever work again?

(It seems to have got worse. Now under V8.3-1H1 on Itanium it looks as if it causes DCL to hang, after producing garbage output.)
4 REPLIES 4
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Derek

I had a look at the DCLTABLES on a 7.3-2 and 8.3-1H1 System. But I can't find something like SET DCL. The only hint I have found within the DCLTABLES is SET BROADCAST=DCL.
Is it possible that your SET DCL/SPELL comes from another product you installed on your machine? I think this command does not belong to native OpenVMS.

Regards

Geni
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I didn't think any that command-level stuff was even particularly (still?) available, so you must be loading a CLD to enable it.

No related DCL changes are listed in the current March 2008 / V8.4 in 2009H2 OpenVMS roadmap, and I've not heard any noises around any DCL upgrades.

It'd be nice if the OpenVMS CLI interfaces (currently undocumented internals) got some (unsupported?) documentation and/or DCL itself got open-sourced, then it'd be feasible to implement bash or such as a "real" CLI, or update the routines involved in SET DCL /SPELL_CHECK.
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

It's gone away a loooong time ago:

! X-68U1 RNM0096 Russ Murray 3-Nov-1989
! Remove SET DCL/[NO]SPELL_CHECK

So don't hold your breath.

Jur.
Derek Garson
Frequent Advisor

Geni,

It's an undocumented feature. It used to work. You won't find it in either HELP or DCLTABLES. See next.

Hoff,

>so you must be loading a CLD to enable it

Yes

Jur,

>It's gone away a loooong time ago:

Even so, the underlying code is still in DCL and hence you can "activate" it using a CLD file.

--

Anyone from HP reading this? ... This is a SENSIBLE feature, particularly for new DCL users (which is what made me remember it and try to use it).