7859 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

"Unable to open connection to agent" error

PatchAdmin
Occasional Contributor

"Unable to open connection to agent" error

Hi there

Can anyone help me with the following error message that I recieve from one of my system while trying to connect to the other one.

"error contacting agent node_name
"error opening connectin on port 5601
cps_client_handshake:error reading version from server
"no bytes read from remote process while reading header
"unable to open connection to agent
"agent update failed"

Regards
1 REPLY 1
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: "Unable to open connection to agent" error

I suppose:
Application on node1 tryes to send a message on Node2, port 5601.

Possible causes:
* Can Node2 be accessed from node1?
* Does port 5601 on Node2 actually REACT?

If the connection is TCP-based, you can check this by doing this from node1:

$ TELNET node2 5601

If this returns DIRECTLY with an error, check port 5601 on node2.

If you have defined a service on node2 on port 5601, check these:
* Has the service been enabled?
* Is access allowed from node1?
* Has the user actually has been defined in UAF for NETWORK ACCESS and has sufficient quota and privilige. Another problem I found once was that the account was expired....
* Check accounting for this user (/PROCESS_TYPE=NETWORK/USER=). It may give you a clue on what's wrong.
* Check this user's SYS$LOGIN (found in UAF). There should be a log file (unless you specified NOLOG on the service. If so, aenable logging!). If the logfile does not exists, check access!
* the file you specified must exist in SYS$LOGIN of that user, but you can specify another location. However: beware that any logical (explicitly mentioned as well as implied) MUST be defined /SYSTEM (at least).
* there shouldn't be any SET TERM/INQ in the SSYS$MANAGER:SYLOGIn.COM and LOGIN.COM of this user. This _could_ crash the service procedure.

If it's a UDP based service, checks apply as well, but I'm not sure if ou could use telnet for checking.
If a program on node2 is to listen to this port, there shlouldn't be a service defined at all on that port. Check logs of that program.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager