New Discussion юеВ

Re: "mc sysman io auto" is not polling SCSI and FIBRE ports

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Graham,

please also note, that IOGEN$PREFIX.DAT on node SMIV96 has a much more recent creation date:

30-JUN-2006 18:59:58.40

What's been done at that time ? Some software installation ?

Volker.
lalo57
Advisor

why dont you try with this command:

>> mc sysman io scsi_path_verify

then, re-type mcsysman command

>> mc sysman io auto /log

good luck,
Eduardo
Hejib
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Volker,

I had done mc sysman io set prfix to add DECW$GRAPHICS_ because I found that was missing when I compared this with another node - SMIV61 where MC SYSMAN IO AUTO worked.

SMIV96 & SMIV95 are not patched to latest update patch and other fibre_SCSI patches that are available. They are on UPDATE 4.0 and no fibre patch.

SMIV61 is on update 6.0 and FIBRE_SCSI 7.0

Before SMIV96 and SMIV95 both presented new disk or tape drives etc from over fibre everytime we wanted one. We had a crash on the cluster and since its re-booted its failing to present anything new. If I want to add a new disk the only option I have is to reboot. Now, with tape drives served via san, the MGA devices they don't get presented as MC SYSMAN IO FIND finds new GGA device but then since mc sysman io auto doesn't run I don't get to see MGA device.

Will patching up to latest patches on 7.3-1 solve the issue (But it was working before...)

Thanks Eduardo,

I have tried IO SCSI_PATH_VERIFY and IO AUTO next, it still does not show

Hejib
Frequent Advisor

Any ideas what should I do. I am now thinking of patching the server to the latest available for 7.3-1
Thanks
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Graham,

if it has worked before, installing all patches may not solve the problem, except if it would replace/correct a 'missing piece' in the puzzle. Installing the most recent patches is not a bad idea anyway. Upgrading to V7.3-2 + patches would be even better and it will more likely solve the problem, as it replaces all images...

There is an additional qualifier to be used to get a bit more information:

$ MC SYSMAN IO AUTO/LOG/FULL

From testing (on V8.2), accessing/invoking SYS$ICBM.EXE should also load all the IOGEN$ modules, which are linked with that image (directly or indirectly). IOGEN$FIBRE_CONFIG.EXE is the last of them. It is missing in your output !!! This image is a shareable image, which IOGEN$PCI_CONFIG is linked against.

Please check, if that file exists in SYS$SHARE: and if it's o.k. (use ANAL/IMAGE).

A 'quick and dirty' test would be to enable XQP logging ($ SET WATCH FILE/CLASS=MAJ) and then just RUN SYS$SHARE:SYS$ICBM.EXE - it will exit with an ACCVIO, but it will show all images accessed by the image activator. IOGEN$FIBRE_CONFIG should be one of them !

The [IOGEN]AUTOCONFIGURE module will access the image header of each ICBM (looking for a transfer address). It will then call the routine at that address and expect a sucessful return status. If that fails or does not return the expected address, the NOICBM error is generated.

Please check all SYS$SHARE:*$ICBM.EXE images and maybe try to run them, to catch any possible image activator errors !

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Graham,

I can now reproduce your problem:

$ INSTALL REMOVE SYS$SHARE:IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG
$ mc sysman io auto/log
%XQP, Thread #0, Access IOGEN$PCI_CONFIG.EXE;1 (2553,3,0) Status: 00000001
%XQP, Thread #0, Access (0,0,0) Status: 00000910 <<< !!!
%XQP, Thread #0, Access IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG.EXE;1 (2547,3,0) Status: 00000001
%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node AXPVMS
%IOGEN-I-PREFIX, searching for ICBM with prefix SYS$
%IOGEN-W-NOICBM, failed to find ICBM with prefix SYS$
%IOGEN-I-PREFIX, searching for ICBM with prefix DECW$
$ instal add SYS$SHARE:IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG
$ mc sysman io auto/log
%XQP, Thread #0, Access IOGEN$PCI_CONFIG.EXE;1 (2553,3,0) Status: 00000001
%XQP, Thread #0, Access IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG.EXE;1 (2547,3,0) Status: 00000001
%XQP, Thread #0, Access IOGEN$FIBRE_CONFIG.EXE;1 (9254,4,0) Status: 00000001
%SYSMAN-I-OUTPUT, command execution on node AXPVMS
%IOGEN-I-PREFIX, searching for ICBM with prefix SYS$
%IOGEN-I-PREFIX, searching for ICBM with prefix DECW$
%IOGEN-I-SCSIPOLL, scanning for devices through SCSI port PKA0
%IOGEN-I-SCSIPOLL, scanning for devices through SCSI port PKB0

It looks like IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG.EXE is not INSTALLED on your system. Check with:

$ SEARCH SYS$MANAGER:vmsimages.dat iogen$ciss_config
SYS$SHARE:IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG ! //

Make sure that the above line is included in VMSIMAGES.DAT and make sure that IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG is installed.

00000910 = %SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHFILE, no such file

Volker.
Hejib
Frequent Advisor

Volker,
Thanks very much for looking into this. I am sorry but it hasn't made any difference.

iogen$ciss_config was not in vmsiamges.dat. I searched vmsimages.dat on SMIV61 (where it works) and it was present in there. When I compared with other IOGEN modules I noticed IOGEN$FIBRE_CONFIG was also missing. Then did "$install list", found iogen$ciss_config and iogen$fibre_config both missing. So installed both and it still doesn't work. I also noticed that IOGEN$PCMCIA_CONFIG wasn't there. Installed that also and still no luck. Here is a list of installed iogen from both nodes
SMIV61>pipe install list | sear sys$pipe iogen
IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$COREIO_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$EISA_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$FBUS_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$FIBRE_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$ISA_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$PCI_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$PCMCIA_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$SCSI_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$SHARE;1
IOGEN$TURBO_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$VTI_COMBO_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$XMI_CONFIG;1

SMIV95:MGR> pipe install list | sear sys$pipe iogen
IOGEN$CISS_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$COREIO_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$EISA_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$FBUS_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$FIBRE_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$ISA_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$PCI_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$PCMCIA_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$SCSI_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$SHARE;1
IOGEN$TURBO_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$VTI_COMBO_CONFIG;1
IOGEN$XMI_CONFIG;1
SMIV95:MGR>

Please note that CISS, FIBRE and PCMCIA were missing on SMIV95.

Hejib
Frequent Advisor

Volker,
You are great! After I replied stating it didn't work on SMIV95 I tried same on SMIV96 and it worked. I have got my new disks and tape device presented to SMIV96. Since the two nodes are in cluster they will server mscp on 95. I can live with just one node being able to auto config. But really will be interested knowing what wrong with SMIV95.
Please let me know if I can provide any further comparitive info between two nodes.
Thanks a lot.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Graham,

do SMIV95 and SMIV96 share a common system disk ? If so, anything unusual in SYS$SPECIFIC: ?

I would suggest to try SYSMAN IO AUTO/LOG/FULL with XQP logging on both systems and compare the results. Consider to provide the output as a .TXT attachment (or send it to me via mail - look at my ITRC profile).

Volker.
Hejib
Frequent Advisor

Volker,
Yes both nodes share the system disk. I have attached sys$specific:[syslib] output and MC SYMAN IO AUTO/LOG/FULL from both nodes.