5941 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rcp command

jpaulino05
Occasional Contributor

rcp command

I'm new in openvms but my question is:

There is a way to copy a file fron openvms host to my pc using the multinet rcp?

thks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

is there a rcp sever on your pc?
(there may be on in the unix tools for windows)

Why use rcp not ftp?

Most PC's don't have ftp server or rcp server. It's better to use ftp from the PC to VMS. If you find rcp on the pc, it could work but it can be difficult to define the proxy on VMS (debugging needed).

Wim
Wim
jpaulino05
Occasional Contributor

The problem is that I have a bunch of files to copy from vms to my pc everyday am doing so one by one from my pc. Just wanna make a batch in vms to copy all of them to my pc in a swipe.

Solutions?

Appreciate your help guys!!!! Thks
Petr Spisek
Regular Advisor

Try to use ZIP.EXE from Freeware_CD:

$ ZIP :== $your_path:ZIP.EXE !path to zip.exe location
$ ZIP ARCHIVE.ZIP MyDir:[addr...]*.*;

..... And copy the ARCHIVE.ZIP to your PC (by FTP as binary mode).

Next solution is mapping share via PATHWORKS or SAMBA - transfer_batch can be scheduled on your PC.
Petr
Juan M. Lazaro
Advisor

Other option you have with ftp is use the mget command to copy more than one file together..., to use the rcp command you must start the rsh service in the VMS host and actualize the proxy database, install the same service in your PC, I think you can find it in the Windows NT/2000/XXX resource kit, and create the .rhosts file in /windows/system32/drivers/etc...

Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

If you use tools such as Hummingbirds Exceed there are some rcp tools available. You would have to update the .rhosts file on your VMS system to account for the PC name (if its DHCP served you would have to use a wildcard as the remote system name - not sure if that would even work). You could also check Hummingbird site for scripts that might work.

You could also use ftp scripts.
Ftp VMS
Login with account
prompt (turns off prompting)
bin (same as image - brings files over in binary mode)
mget filename*.*
bye (leaves ftp)

I have additional tools installed on my windows machine. Not sure if the rcp is part of those tools or not.
rcp -a (IP address).(Account Name):(filenames) (destination)
example:
rcp -a 192.168.1.10.system:10*.* ..
This copies all of the files in systems default directory starting with 10*.* to one level up in the directory tree.

You need to make sure you have a proxy added on the VMS system for the PC/account to the VMS account.

Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

The RCP command is ran from the PC. You can easily create a .bat file to run on the PC.

I know there are schedulers for windows. I don't know the names of them since I don't use them anymore.