1748124 Members
3264 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: replace decnet lat servers with tcpip print servers

Craig_94

replace decnet lat servers with tcpip print servers

Hi,
I am trying to find out if it is possible to replace my existing lat servers which direct output to our serial printers with tcpip print servers which we could then setup to use laser printers.

We are running an alpha ds-10 which uses tcpip to connect through our network. My question is can we specify static/dynamic ip addresses on the alpha to direct output for print ques? and if so, how?

Our reason for replacement is to enable us to upgrade the old hardware to something newer and faster.

PS - This is all new to me and I am not fluent in open VMS at all.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Craig:

It is possible to setup the Telnet listener on the DECserver so that you have an IP connection instead of a LAT connection. (Use the existing hardware)(doc attached)
This way you use IP XX.XX.XX.XX port 200x

AND/OR... You can use the TCPIP$TELNETSYM to send to IP printers.

I'm not sure exactly how that portion is setup. There are several COM files that do that on our systems.
VMS SAN mechanic
Mark Hollinger
Occasional Advisor

There are several different options for printing on OpenVMS, including:

1) DCPS

2) LPD

3) TELNETSYM

4) Outbound TN devices

5) Spooled devices

Each has its own virtues and quirks. If you have some existing application or set of procedures to handle printing, that may constrain the approach you pick.

For general-purpose printing of a variety of file types, I would probably start with DCPS, which will happily communicate directly with printers on your network. If your printers are connected to the network, you won't need terminal servers, print servers, or any form of communication across a serial or parallel interface.

- M
Craig_94

Thank you. I have submitted this information to our support staff and hopefully can apply the information you have provided.

Craig.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Craig,
I presume you have printers connecet to lat server and on VMS you have created LTA port to connect to print via serial port.
Now you can substitute old lat server with a telnet printer server but I think it's no good idea, only money spent.
If you buy new printer (with net port), you can connect then using TCPIP$TELNETSU,.EXE printer controller instead standard PRTSMB.EXE controller if printer support raw TCP/IP without Poscript language.
If you buy a poscript language you have install DCPS (now not require license).
But remember, control code sequences of old Dec printer are very different by new PCL4/5 codes. Using DCPS instead you could use old PPL2/3 dec sequence to print on poscript printer.
If you need I wrote a program to convert PPL2/3 codes into PCL4/5 or ESC/P or Ibmproprinter code.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Kjell Carlsson
Frequent Advisor

Hi
An example of the commands to set up a print queue through a print server:

DECserver 90 (TL or M).
$defi/system tcpip$telnetsym_idle_timeout "0 00:10:00"
$init/queue....../start/process=tcpip$telnetsym/on=├в ip-address:port├в ...... queuename
$deass/system tcpip$telnetsym_idle_timeout

Axis print server.
$defi/system tcpip$telnetsym_raw_tcp 1
$defi/system tcpip$telnetsym_idle_timeout "0 00:10:00"
$init/queue....../start/process=tcpip$telnetsym/on=├в ip-address:port├в ...... queuename
$deass/system tcpip$telnetsym_raw_tcp
$deass/system tcpip$telnetsym_idle_timeout

These commands can be used with any type of print server.

If you then switch to a postscript laser printer you can use DCPS software to achieve nicer layout. Or you can use the described commands for simple text and own control of the layout (PC
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Craig, if you're going to use Laser printers, you probably don't need to go through your print server.

Just use the IP address of the printers network card and probably port 9100 (for TELNET connections).

You can also use LPD by setting up the queue using SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$LPRSETUP.EXE

Rob.