108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: run/uic= does not start process as other user

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for all the info. I do believe I have got it.

In summary:
If I wish to execute a process with the environment of another user ( i.e. users, quotas, login dir, username, etc) I must submit via a batch with the /user switch.

Running /detatched will only allow /uic= which would cause the process to run with a specific uic and its file security but not it's environment ( i.e. quotas, login dir, etc )

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Tim,

Also check http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=630742 for simular problems.
Also note that some logicals like sys$scratch are missing. Thus, some programs may be unable to run.
Just do submit/user ... and hope "su -"
gets implemented someday.

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I think one can emulate 'su -' with HGLOGIN to a certain level:
http://vms.process.com/scripts/fileserv/fileserv.com?HGLOGIN
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Uwe,

But if you use this freeware who is responsible for support ? We now pay lots of money to HP to have support. The "su -" should be within the support contract. Otherwise it is cheaper to use a free OS.
(I only use freeware such as zip and dfu for non-essential things)

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Have you logged a call with HP so they know that you want 'su -'?
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I guess that if they don't know we need "su -" they don't understand what we need. A request won't change that.
A good manager might ...

Wim
Wim
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Hunter Goatley is known in vms world; also in Freeware CD there are another software to login with another user called JUMP.
For freeware you can ask support to developer (I guess he's happy to do this).

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim (& Uwe, Antonio)

the one thing I would ABSOLUTELY need to go with "su-" is a very rigorous authentication, accounting, and audit on it!
"su-" as in *X just has way to little constraints and traceability.

(And on a vaguely related topic: in VMS I would like to be able to see who issued a SUBMIT/USER= )

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

On freeware V4
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/freeware/index.html
there was a software called kronos that's a cron emulator.
Tim, you could see on it may give some idea.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Though this is off-topic:

I have had REALLY BAD experiences with su in Unix. When you have a lot to do, and certainly in a very stressfull environment, it's easy to forget you did su. With all consequences...In my case, the whole system was blown to pieces, just because of this. and there was no way to find out who did it...

Actually, if we had something like
$ RUN/IMPERSONATION= ....
to run just THAT image under that user's account, that would be sufficient IMHO.
Still wthin this, I double Jan's suggestions.

I would put even more restrictions:

At least "IMPERSONATE" privilege would be required. But additionally, you need GRPPRV to switch to another with your group and SYSPRV to any other - which means typically system-group users.

However, considering "root" in Unix terms equals VMS's "SYSTEM", it should NEVER be allowed to impersonate any account in a group where grp <= MAXSYSGROUP. Why would you: If you could, there is no need to do that, you can login that way!
(With one exception, perhaps: if your groupnumber is <= MAXSYSGROUP, when you have both SYSPRV and GRPPRV. It can be handy - but just that!)

If interactive "su" is implemented, all above applies, but I think it wise that default privileges should be as low as possible. Just enable authorized privilges is needed. Also, there must be a clear warning that you "su"'d, ON ANY PROMPT, which cannot be undone. I don't care in what format!
And PLEASE give it a decent name....

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager