Operating System - OpenVMS
1753836 Members
8851 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: shutdown/turn off/stop/start utility for FGx device?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

shutdown/turn off/stop/start utility for FGx device?

Hi all,

I've done searches on anything I can think of to try to locate a way to shutdown/turn off/stop an FGx device - much like you would with a lan device (mcr scacp stop lan ewa
/ mcr scacp start lan ewa) using a utility. Am I missing "the obvious?" I haven't found anything like that - does it exist or am I forgetting what the name is? I want to upgrade the fibre switch firmware and make sure VMS doesn't use that particular path. I prefer to shut the path down (at the hba) as opposed to "pull the plug" on VMS - even tho' it will "adjust" if I do that.

Tnx for any thoughts,
Rich
26 REPLIES 26
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

If there is something, maybe it is with the sda extension fc
$ mc sda
fc
and look at the help

but I am unaware of such a thing (but I have not had such a config recently).
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure that there is no supported way to do that. The closest you can get (and this is rather ugly) is to use the command $ SET DEVICE /PATH = /NOENABLE.

(Yeah, it's /NOENABLE, not /DISABLE)

You'd need to do that for every device that has a path to the switch in question, for every path to that switch. Also, that command won't work on a device if the path you're trying to disable is the current path.

If it was me, I'd trust multipath to do the right thing, so I'd just shut down the switch and let the paths settle down naturally, or if you are a bit paranoid, you could manually switch any devices whose current path is on that switch to a different path. Of course, I'd do this during a maintenance window, not during production hours.

Also, in the future, please mention what version of VMS, as the fibre channel stuff varies dramatically from V7.2 to V8.3, especially for the above-mentioned FC SDA extension.

-- Rob (ex-Multipath engineer)
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rich,

you could also manually issue $ SET DEV/PATH=xxx/SWITCH commands for each device to move it's path away from the HBA, which connects to the FC switch you want to upgrade.

Volker.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Rich,
I think you should also know that "$ mc scacp stop lan ews" doesn't actually turn off the ewa device, it just disables it for SCS Cluster communications.

(Could be wrong though!)

I frequently used to execute this command even though my primary network adaptor was an EWA device, when I didn't want the cluster to use the main network for cluster traffic.

Dave.
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Whew! Thank you all for the thoughts!

Labadie, yes, the fc command is available, but it doesn't allow you to disable/shutdown/stop/noenable an fg device - that I could find.

Rob, you're right - I should have put the version #'s in - *I* knew what they were, didn't everyone :^) (actually, never thought of it when I wrote - my mistake)

SDA>
SDA> fc show dev
FGA0: operational firmware revision CS3.93A0
port_name(adapter_id) = 1000-0000-C935-C185, node_name(host_id) = 2000-0000-C935-C185
SDA>
SDA> exit
CACHE1::DISK$INFSYS:[RJHEARN]_>uptime
OpenVMS V7.3-2 on node CACHE1 1-AUG-2007 09:43:17.20 Uptime 261 23:35:27
CACHE1::DISK$INFSYS:[RJHEARN]_>

Trusting multipath is not a problem, just trying to "cleanly" make the change in paths before I shut off the switch port. Doing a /noenable against 30 devices is a bit "less elegant" than I had hoped for, but could be done. I was hoping for a single cmd in case I needed to turn it back on in a hurry (assuming the upgrade is complete - bit "sticky" if needed in the middle of the upgrade :^)

Volker, I had done a "set dev/switch/path=PGA0.5000-1FE1-5000-C0Fx $1$DgaXX" - (for all my devices) which worked, but around midnight, the system automatically changed it back to the other path because it was available. I was looking to temporarily, "permanently" disable the other path so I could do the upgrade to the switch.

Dave, the distinction you point out is understood - I'm basically just looking for a way to tell vms "ignore" fg device X

Thank you *all* for your thoughts & perspectives - I do appreciate them.

Rich
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Volker, I had done a "set dev/switch/path=PGA0.5000-1FE1-5000-C0Fx $1$DgaXX" - (for all my devices) which worked, but around midnight, the system automatically changed it back to the other path because it was available.

--

That's not how multipath works.

While multipath *will* automatically switch away from the MSCP path under certain conditions, multipath doesn't move away from a local path unless provoked by an I/O error or DCL command.

Perhaps there was some disruption in your SAN around midnight?

-- Rob
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Rob,

Thanks for the info - I'll go back & see if I can find any msgs in the console logfile - I have (at other times in the past) seen pga0/pgb0 errors, but have not been able to track them down to anything specific. Hp suggested it could be a timing issue that we're seeing. no real answer, but plausible - and difficult to prove.

Tnx,
Rich
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Hp suggested it could be a timing issue that we're seeing. no real answer, but plausible - and difficult to prove.

--

I'm not sure what my fellow HP colleague means by that. Without going into a long, boring explanation as to how multipath works, suffice it to say that a switch from a local path to another local path requires one of two things:

1) the DCL command to change paths

or

2) an I/O error that provokes mount verification. Multipath (usually) works in the context of mount verification to do its work. Note that there can be transient disruptions in a SAN such that an I/O can fail, yet succeed immediately upon retry. In that case, however, multipath will attempt to stay on the current path, and not switch paths.

Also note that with V7.3-2, the concept of suppressed mount verification messages was introduced; by default, certain messages are not emitted to OPA0: and OPERATOR.LOG

-- Rob
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

I went back and checked regarding what I wrote - using the console buffer - I have to make a correction. It was pea0/peb0 that I was thinking of - not pga0/pgb0. My apologies to your colleagues for my memory. Here's what I was thinking of:

%PEA0, Excessive packet losses on LAN Path from EIA to EIA on REMOTE NODE IDXT2

%PEA0, Excessive packet losses on LAN Path from EWA to EWA on REMOTE NODE IDXT2

%CNXMAN, Lost connection to system IDXT2
%SHADOW-I-VOLPROC, DSA2: is offline. Volume Processing in progress.

%SHADOW-I-VOLPROC, DSA2: is offline. Volume Processing in progress.

%CNXMAN, Re-established connection to system IDXT2
%SHADOW-I-VOLPROC, DSA2: has completed volume processing.

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 1-AUG-2007 00:01:00.55 %%%%%%%%%%%

This "view" is from IdxT1's console. Would the "Lost Connection" to IdxT2 be indicative of a mount verify that would cause the multipath switch over? How 'bout a pointer to where I can find info to turn on mount verify msgs - doesn't appear to be in the Mount command - or I'm just missing it...

attached is a .txt file detailing our connectivity.

Rich