Operating System - OpenVMS
1752790 Members
6529 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: shutdown/turn off/stop/start utility for FGx device?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rich,

suppression of mount-verification messages is controlled by SYSGEN parameters:

$ MC SYSGEN HELP SYS_P MVSUPMSG

There seems to have been some problem with both network pathes (EWA and EIA) between IDXT1 and IDXT2.

A 'Lost connection' message is shown, if the local node does NOT receive any cluster hello multicast message from the remote node within about 9 seconds. Each node sends such a message about every 3 seconds.

This can indicate a network problem or a problem in the remote node. Check the console of the other cluster members to see, which node had lost connection to which other node. This can help you find out, what may have been happening.

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rich,

you can also control the suppression of mount-verification messages individually per disk device with:

$ SET DEV /MV_INTVL=n /MV_NUM=n

AFAIK, multipath switched messages will not be suppressed - but Rob will correct me if I'm wrong.

Volker.
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Volker,

Thank you for the information on the mount verify msg. I've placed it away for our next downtime.

Rich
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rich,

these are DYNAMIC parameters...

Volker.
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Volker,

Thank you for that information... I haven't had a chance to go "visit" sysgen yet to see whether the parameters were dynamic or not, but now I know I don't have to wait 'til November :^)

tnx agn,
Rich
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

AFAIK, multipath switched messages will not be suppressed - but Rob will correct me if I'm wrong.

--

Volker, as always, is correct; it's only the mount verification begin/end messages that are suppressed. The multipath-generated messages signaling a path switch will alway be emitted.

-- Rob
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rich,

now that you've learned about mount verification message suppression, go back to your console logs or OPERATOR.LOG and try to find out WHEN the multipath switch has taken place in your system. You should see the manual path switch (from your SET DEV/PATH=.../SWITCH) and also any automatic path switch, which changed the path you had set.

Volker.
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

If you can stomach the mount verification messages, I highly recommend disabling the suppression. It's a real pain to troubleshoot an issue (or to determine if there really is a problem) with MV suppression enabled.

Fortunately, the MV suppression can be disabled dynamically.

-- Rob
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Volker & Robert,

Sorry for the delay, I've been doing exactly what you've both suggested; checking on what's happening. I've turned on mount verification msgs & the only time they're appearing is when I turn off EWA0 every night to check the counters & reset them. I MSCP serve each systems system disk to the other system and those are the disks that "mount verify". Since I'm not specifically checking & reassigning cluster comm to EWB0, I figure it's probably the reason for it. Please let me know if I'm wrong on that.

Rich
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rich,

what makes you turn off a SCA-speaking LAN device at midnight ? How many SCA channels do you have (MC SCACP SHOW CHAN) between those nodes ?

According to the console log provided earlier, both EIA-EIA and EWA-EWA lost communications at that time, causing a connection lost event. This will throw the disks into mount-verification.

Volker.