New Discussion юеВ

Re: silly $GETQUI bug and work-around

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jess,

what kind of contest is this ? Are we going to do quality testing for HP OpenVMS engineering here ? Believe, me, I'm up to that ;-)

When converting 20-NOV-2006 22:02:14.40 to a quadword time value, you might note, that the low order longword becomes all zero.

The code in [CLIUTL]QUEMANSHO tests whether a RETENTION_TIME is specified, but only tests the low order longword of the quadword time value.

You've found the symptom of this bug, I found the actual bug in the source code. So 90% of the work is done. Now it would just take someone with a support contract or access to PTR to report this problem officially and wait for OpenVMS engineering to fix it.

Volker.
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

> Now it would just take someone with a support contract or access to PTR to report this problem officially and wait for OpenVMS engineering to fix it.

If you *REALLY* think it's worth it (maybe because most of the work is already done by Volker) then I'm sure someone will log a support call (maybe me) or engineering might take note (ye olde Mr DCL did!)

Just post exactly what needs to be said...

J.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

I did send an email mentioning these two bugs and got a polite reply from David Sweeney. I hope fixing them doesn't take time away from anything important.

Volker, no this second bug is not that simple. It does not occur for all binary time values with a zero low-order long word:

DBG> exam/hex r0
%R0: 00A5F20000000000
DBG> exam/date r0
%R0: 22-NOV-2006 20:48:17.11

$ SUBMIT JUNK /RETAIN=UNTIL="22-NOV-2006 20:48:17.11"
Job JUNK (queue SYS$BATCH, entry 5009500) pending

$ SHOW ENTRY/FULL '$ENTRY
Entry Jobname Username Blocks Status
----- ------- -------- ------ ------
5009500 JUNK SYSTEM Pending (queue stopped)
On stopped batch queue SYS$BATCH
Submitted 8-NOV-2006 19:29:14.17 /PRIORITY=100
/RETAIN=UNTIL="22-NOV-2006 20:48"
File: _$1$DGA111:[DSKA.COM.SYSTEM]JUNK.COM;3

If it was based on a zero low-order long word the bug would occur for any value that is a multple of delta time interval of 0-07:09.49 (binary time value of negative 2**32). As stated above the delta interval for this problem is actually 15-12:49:37.28, whose binary value is negative (2**32)x3125.
I have one, but it's personal.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jess,

I give up for now. To troubleshoot this effectively, one would need to run the code with the debugger. Let's leave this to OpenVMS engineering...

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jess,

both problems have now been logged via PTR (official OpenVMS problem tracking tool) at HP:

75-13-1804 for the /retain=until problem
75-13-1805 for the cpu_limit problems

You may consider to close this thread.

Volker.
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

thread closed
I have one, but it's personal.