Operating System - OpenVMS
1753481 Members
4183 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: smart array 5302 configuration software

steve rogers_5

smart array 5302 configuration software

I have a DS20E with smart array 5302 controller. From the boot prom i can access the ORCA menu but can't navigate because I don't know the keyboard mapping,ie, F8 is "esc-8".

There's also pc driven software that will allow you to connect & configure. Most of the links i found were broken/expired.

I'd prefer the keyboard mapping as i'm already there....

thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Clarete Riana
Valued Contributor

For some terminal emulators like powerterm the keyboard mapping of F8 is "esc-8" and "crtl-8" for some others.

What version of OpenVMS are you using? If it is V8.2 and later, you can use the OpenVMS tool MSA$UTIL to connect and configure the SA5302 controller.

Refer to the link below for documentation on MSA$UTIL.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/ba322_90076/6676pro_006.html
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

From experience (some of it quite bitter!), the best bet for this is to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor up to the DS20E itself and use the native keyboard to get the keystrokes that you need. If I recall correctly, it's a PS/2 keyboard so you should be able to nab one from a PC or similar and use that. (The ES47's were fussy about it being an HP LK400 series keyboard but the DS20E wasn't in my experience.)
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

I've had one of these Alpha's and that card for quite some time too; here's the crib sheet I kept to hand. Same as Hoff's but there's one or two extra key strokes here.

AlphaBIOS VT220
F1 Ctrl + A
F2 Ctrl + B
F3 Ctrl + C
F4 Ctrl + D
F5 Ctrl + E
F6 Ctrl + F
F7 Ctrl + P
F8 Ctrl + R
F9 Ctrl + T
F10 Ctrl + U
INSERT Ctrl + V
DEL Ctrl + W
BACKSPACE Ctrl + H
ESC Ctrl + [
DOWN ARROW Ctrl + I
TAB Ctrl + I

It's all somewhat slow and lacking partitioning (at least the latest firmware I found). You're better off using a more recent version of VMS with the MSA$UTIL utility.

Regards
John.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
steve rogers_5

What variable other than setting the console to graphics, do i need to set in order to use a normal monitor & keyboard?

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Presuming you have an LK461-series or similar OpenVMS LK-series keyboard and not a PC-layout keyboard (and why else would we be having this discussion?) then when you are the >>> SRM console prompt, then if the controller firmware prompt within the controller configuration tool indicates the F8 key, then (on the LK-series keyboard) enter CTRL/R. Etc.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

ps: if that sequence does not resolve it, please identify what a "normal" keyboard is to you, and identify what keyboard you're using if that's different.

Or as stated, use MSA$UTIL (which arrives in current OpenVMS or in recent SCSI firmware ECO kits) or download and install and use the appropriate associated tools I referenced over on those web pages. If you're running OpenVMS, MSA$UTIL is the usual choice.
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

The extra bits from SRM console that you need to do to get the SmartArray 5302A configured and used are:

>>> set heap_expand 2mb
>>> init
>>> set bootbios pya0
>>> init

The card will then prompt you with "Press F8..." to configure it as the system goes through power on self testing.
Don't be tempted to set heap expand to more than 2mb as this could lead to a system not behaving (can't remember if it was a crash or a hang or just not booting).
Although the documentation claims that the bootbios setting is just so that you can boot from it, you need to have it set so that you can address the card to configure it.
PYA0 will refer to the first SmartArray card, PYB0 to the second and so on.

As someone else has commented, be aware that the SmartArray will give you RAID options for the drives but can't partition them - if you do RAID5 on three 36GB drives then that can only present a 72GB drive to VMS, it won't partition it. For partitioning of the resulting drive you need the SW-RAID package to do host-based RAID.

(Host based RAID partitions are presently limited to 0.5TB too btw)
Steve
steve rogers_5

thanks all for the repsonses. i took to easy way out & found a graphics card. i simply connected monitor & keyboard & the ORCA utility worked great!!