1753468 Members
4596 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: smtp problem

adarsh_4
Frequent Advisor

smtp problem

iam using tcpip v5.4 with vms 7.3. Before when i receive a mail on vms, using set forward command a copy of the mail was send to my exchange email account(adarsh@fsc.com.fj). after the upgrade of our exchange form exchange 5.5 to exchange 2007, it has stopped doing that. i checked the log file and it showed the following.

%%%%%%%%%%%% 6-MAY-2009 07:22:41.80 %%%%%%%%%%%%
%TCPIP-I-SMTP_SYMBRUN, symbiont is running the queue TCPIP$SMTP_SUGAR3_01
%TCPIP-E-SMTP_UNREACHABL, cannot connect to remote host, fsc.com.fj
-SYSTEM-F-UNREACHABLE, remote node is not currently reachable

Iam able to ping my exchange server using the ping command in tcpip. please advise what would be done

10 REPLIES 10
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Could you do a

$ TELNET 'exchangeserver' 25

Hakan

Don't make it worse by guessing.........
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

i believe later exchange versions require smtp servers to be declared, check this with your windows guys.

hth

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

has the exchange server changed name/address or smtp traffic seperated out ? check your mxrecords/host table in tcpip.

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

It might be that the SMPT service encounters a problem in connecting to the Exchange server Try restarting smtp:

$ @sys$startup:tcpip$smtp_shutdown
$ @sys$startup:tcpip$smtp_startup

to clear expected but no longer existing connections.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
adarsh_4
Frequent Advisor

hakan, iam not able to telnet my exchange server

Mark, can u please explain more about what do u mean by "smtp traffic seperated out"

willem, i tried what u advised, still no luck.

thanks for helping
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Mark likely intends you should discuss this with your local networking team and with your Exchange team, I expect; with the folks most familiar with the local network and the local Exchange server.

If you can't connect via telnet into port 25 (which is the main SMTP port), then either the network connection is blocked at the LAN level, or at the Exchange server. It's possible to implement a partition between systems at the network level via a switch or a network firewall setting, or to establish a block via Microsoft Exchange or a host firewall.

None of which we can likely particularly help with here, short of either remote (administrative) access into the network and the hosts, or an on-site visit.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

at my last place smtp mail was routed to separate smtp servers and filtered before getting to the exchange server. if you can't reach your exchange server on port 25 is there a firewall in the way ?

Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Mark and Hoff have explained about the default smtp port 25, so I don't need to go down that road...

Hmmmm,.....just a thought..has the portnumber changed for any reason ?? or is authentication needed on the outgoing server ?

You never know......

Hakan

Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

adarsh,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 36 of 71 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before please do not take offence none is intended!

PPS. Zero points for THIS entry, please.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.