108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: startup fails after migration of Oracle DB 8i to 9i on Alpha 7.3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Van den Broeck
Trusted Contributor

A small remark about your migrate and export/import topic.

We used the Oracle migrate tool for years because we assumed that it is faster then export/import. And if it would work well it is faster indeed but every time we had problems day after day and it took us a lot of time to have a working db.
So, we decided to install the new Oracle version and then export/import the data. It takes more time initially, but it saves us lot of 'problem'-time.

Rgds
Marc
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

marc,

interesting remark, the colleagues of our other department suggested to examine further that direction.

due to the DB size and need of temp space, we considered first the migration, but that might be feasible.

louis
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Louis,

<-
1) check whether the new user name is not already entered as an ID in SYSUAF
->

Yes,
plus:
1a) Check the UIC group to be unused:

$ MCR AUTHORIZE SHOW [,*]

if this does show ANY username, try another grpnr

1c) $ Check the chosen username:
X
$ MCR AUTHORIZE SHOW
If you get any value returned, choose another one

1c) Check the ACCOUNT name to be not yet used as identifier:

$ MCR AUTHORIZE SHOW/IDENT
If you get any value returned, choose another one

<-
2) add the new user with a new group UIC : (a) either w/o account name (alike the ORACLE9 example) or (b) with account=user
->
(a) If you do NOT specify an account name, than that (like all other not specified fields) is COPIED from the DEFAULT username, ans therefore, not unique!
(b) NO! That would inhibit creating the identifier for the UIC group

For Oracle usernames, it is customary, but not necessary, to choes ORAxxxx, where xxxx relates to the version and/or its use.
eg: ORA9I_PRD or ORA920_TST
Make it easy on yourself, choose an ACCOUNT name that derives from that (but _IS_ different!) eg, ORA9I_P and ORA920_T.
The owner field is documentary only, to clearly identify it to human readers, eg "Oracle 9i Prod database serv" or "Orac 9.2.0 Test database serv" --- feel free to use your own description.

<-
=> this account name should not be confusing for VMS, because no previous user (= no existing ID) has been configured in SYSUAF with same name
->

correct

<-
=> this will add one unique ID, type alphanumeric, both for account name and user name
->

It will add TWO unique IDs, one for the USERNAME and one for the ACCOUNT name.

The will have a both an alphanumeric and a numric value; but the numeric value will normally be formatted as [grpnr,memnr]
( the underlying pure-numeric value can be calculated as ( %X10000 * %Ogrpnr + %Omemnr ), usually represented in Hex ; for the grpname itself use %O377776 as memnr)

<-
=> or did i misunderstood your explanation and should really add a new user name X with a new group UIC and a new account name Y ?
->
THAT is what you do!

<-
=> what about owner ? should i prefer to let owner undefined or to
have it = user name
->

see above. But to leave it undefined, you probably have to specify an empty string, or else it will be a copy of whatever it is for the DEFAULT username

<-
3) continue with quota, password, privileges as requested by Oracle ; probably add SETPRV (although not documented by Oracle) : sounds to me the minimal list of privileges (auth+default) would be :
->

sounds good to me

<-
4) in Oracle9i, at least, def and dir should be set such a way that it is a new path and new LOGIN.COM which does not run old ORAUSER env.
->

YES definitely

<-
i dont care about ACL at that time : should i immediately care with them, since we intend eventually to have the Oracle tree to be read accessed as a Advanced Server share (prefer to see those UNIX-like paths and file names from PC, or ?) and we may add for this purpose an ACL ?
->

you can add those any time you like
(but make sure they propagate correctly trough the entire tree)

Success!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

jan,

thanks for the long reply : it helps me to understand how it works, in fact i will use this as a "how to configure a new Oracle account" input, just will reformat it for convenience.

nobody replies until now, so it should be definitive or alike, this time ...

every,

many thanks for your help ! this or these forum(s) are great things for VMS users/admins.

after config SYSUAF Oracle9i account + set file /owner + patch 9.install (9.2.0.5, and this automatically relinked oracle executables) we can now now start the DB instance, and are looking at it. sounds pretty good. i dont close immediately the thread.

addon :

- we may just have needed to relink with the right SYSUAF account to get Oracle working ; but they (= our colleges from other department) have experienced and already installed, and eg DBCA could not start without patch install [or rebuild ?]) ; i dont care about it now, useless to try again ...

- i "commit" everything with an offline backup of the DB and tests further with that system and oracle status

- i will in any case let the SETPRV privilege, since it was on our Oracle8i account

- i will verify again with that account name confusion [wims suggestion "what if you put back the account name ..."]

before i close definitively that thread

louis
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

i will verify again with that account name confusion [wims suggestion "what if you put back the account name ..."]

after a backup, i have tried different things and i could not reproduce this error : putting back the account name to be the same as another user name which has not SETPRV in default privileges and
removing the account ID [31,1777777]. the DB starts without trouble.

the error may be the result of an incorrect setting of the account during the product installation ? it takes much time and does not worth to look further ...

i learned several things thru that trouble, esp the check-list to create a new user (possibly a new group), and the impact of account name as an additional ID in rightslist database. we are unfortunately used to have user=account name, which appears to be a bad habit, even if it worked apparently well until now.

i may have understood quicker (possibly ?) when i would have looked at SHOW PROC/ALL output, especially privileges and process rights, at the time my problem occured.

thanks for the many helps

louis
Guinaudeau
Frequent Advisor

closed