1753782 Members
7284 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: storage problem

Volvocars
Advisor

storage problem

Is it possible to put ultra-3 scsi disks, which has used on a previous windows platform,
to put them directly in a storage bay of a MA8000 storage system (with hsg80 controllers) an init them without any troubles???

Do I have to run some kind of commandfile or follow a special procedure before I can init the ultra-3 scsi disks in order to make them "openvms compatible".

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mario Dhaenens

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Mario,
OpenVMS is one out of two operating systems that can use these disks right away.

Just plug them in, configure your storage sets and units (don't forget to assign a unique identifier) and grant access.

On OpenVMS:
$ MCR SYSMAN IO AUTOCONFIGURE
$ INITIALIZE ...
$ MOUNT ...

Enjoy...
Volvocars
Advisor

hI,

Yesterday I performed the same procedure like you state on our test cluster (does not have hsg80 storage controllers, cluster contains only two hosts) and I know that it works fine. The only thing I noticed was that the system named one of the disk devices (assigned on 1 member of the cluster)like the cd-reader (on the other member of the cluster) who already had the same name. I found that rather strange, we shall have to change the scsi id of the cd reader and give it another device name in order to avoid conflicts.

My boss stated he had heard or read it somewhere, that there was an issue (problem)about performing the same procedure on openvms environments which use hsg80 storage controllers. The environment with the hsg80 storage controllers is our production alpha cluster, so I searched on the hp site but I could not find directly some info about it.
That's why I launched a call whether somebody has has heard about.

Thank you for the info anyway.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I don't know how your development system is set up, but it sounds like you have a conflict, due to duplicate bus names (e.g. PKA) and duplicate host allocation classes. The fix is to use different port allocation classes on these busses.

You won't see that in a fibre channel environment, because all fibre channel disk names begin with "$1$DGA"-that is hard-coded in the device driver. As I wote in my previous message - you just assign different identifiers to your units which results in different unit numbers. E.g.:

HSG> set D9 IDENTIFIER=109

results in OpenVMS device $1$DGA109: