1752774 Members
4729 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

sysman io rebuild and EMC device configuration

Dave PNCGIS
Occasional Advisor

sysman io rebuild and EMC device configuration

We have experienced a performance issue when un-configuring EMC Symmetrix devices that are presented to OpenVMS 8.3a. This issue has been previously addressed by booting each cluster member where the devices were now un-available after the un-configure. We are not sure that this is due to EMC still thinking the devices are there because of the mapping to the device table, or VMS trying to continuously re-access devices which no longer exist. The actual question I have, is can you use MC SYSMAN IO REBUILD to have the same effect in un-mapping VMS devices as a reboot? Can we make the $1$dga devices "go away" as far as VMS is concerned? And also as far as the EMC frame is concerned?
14 REPLIES 14
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Re: sysman io rebuild and EMC device configuration

$ MC SYSMAN IO SCSI_PATH_VERIFY

will remove devices which are no longer available. If you've reconfigured a device, follow this with

$ MC SYSMAN IO AUTOCONFIGURE

See

$ MCR SYSMAN HELP

and chapter 24 of the System Management Utilities manual for OpenVMS 8.3 at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/6048/6048pro_073.html#sysman_part.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Dave PNCGIS
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, we will look into this. We just need to know that it is non-disruptive to any other IO activity on the cluster.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Andy,
Are you saying that doing an "IO SCSI_PATH_VERIFY" on a device (say a SAN lun) which is no longer available (i.e. no longer presented to the system) will remove it from the "show device" display??

Although I have never tried this explicitly, It is not my understanding, or experience. I am sure that at some point in the past I have executed the SCSI_PATH_VERIFY command when I had obsolete SAN units still being displayed, and I do not recall ever having seen these units removed from the display, at least not without rebooting the system.

If your comment is true however, I would be very happy since it is a real annoyance having these old units hanging around until is is convenient to reboot.

Dave
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

According to the Fine Manual
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/84final/6048/6048pro_080.html#startsubcommand_480

"You usually enter the SYSMAN IO SCSI_PATH_VERIFY command after performing an online reconfiguration of a SCSI or an FC interconnect. The command reads the device type and device identifier on each SCSI and FC path in the system. If the device does not match the data stored in the IO database, then the path is disconnected in the IO database. Following a SYSMAN IO SCSI_PATH_VERIFY command, you usually enter a SYSMAN IO AUTOCONFIGURE command, which updates the IO database to match the new SCSI or FC configuration. "

Dave,

As I recall, the $ SHOW DEVICE display continues to list the drive, but it's no longer available and will immediately return an error on any mount or init attempt. This was up to 7.3-2.

The original question, "Can we make the $1$dga devices "go away" as far as VMS is concerned?" It depends on how you define "go away."
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Dave PNCGIS
Occasional Advisor

I talked to someone here who had more detail on the issue. We believe that the problem is that the fibre channel paths are not being terminated even when we run IO SCSI and IO AUTO. We think that the reason the reboot clears up the problem is that it disconnects the fibre channel paths to the missing devices. What we are looking for is a way to disconnect the FC paths without rebooting.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Are you up to date on patches?

(grumble)
If not, hopefully you have a support contract in place.
(/grumble)

Dave PNCGIS
Occasional Advisor

We are at update 12. We probably will not apply update 13 until after year end. And, yes, we have a current HP support contract. The problem we continue to encounter is that EMC and VMS do not always work and play well together, but (sigh) we have been forced to use EMC disk. Not that it is bad, but it has created multiple problems for us.
Dave PNCGIS
Occasional Advisor

In fact, at least for now, we are most interested in what the IO REBUILD command actually does, and how it differs from IO SCSI and IO AUTO.