1752565 Members
5239 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tcpip gateway value

JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

tcpip gateway value

I have my laptop and a DS10L 7.3-1 connected to a 'home networking' switch. I can ftp from my laptop to the Alpha, but the Alpha does not see the laptop. They are in the same x.x.x.123 neighborhood. Do I need to define a tcpip gateway value? If so, what would the value be? Or am I missing something else?
7 REPLIES 7
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Do both systems have the same subnet value?

$ tcpip show interface

on the Alpha. On the same subnet you don't need a gateway to get to a local system, but can go ahead and define it with @sys$manager:tcpip$config, 1 - Core environment and 2 routing.

The address for the gateway depends on whether you have access off your local lan. Are these systems connected to another network or internet service?

You should also check the interface speed and duplex settings. Check for line errors which may indicate a duplex mis match. I've had best results setting both Alpha and switch speed and duplex settings. If you can't set the switch you're using and you see errors, try forcing the Alpha to half duplex.

$ lancp show dev /char
$ lancp show dev /count

Another question, do you have more than 1 network interface with tcpip configured? Are all the NICs connected?

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

Both systems are on the same subnet, only the last 3 digits are different.
There is no external access, only between these two systems.
One Alpha interface is DECnet and the other is tcpip, both are connected to the switch to eliminate console errors.
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

Some testa:
1)show the results of the alpha ftping to itself
2) Lets see the ping output from alpha to pc and pc to alpha

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

It might be useful to see the actual IP
address and netmask values. Without these
data, more guesswork is just more guesswork.

"x.x.x.123" is not a neighborhood in my
neighborhood.

What do you meen by "see"? Actual commands
used and actual responses seen are much more
helpful than vague descriptions and/or
metaphors.
JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

Ping, ftp and telnet from the Alpha to the laptop return the same system not found error. From the laptop to the Alpha all work. IP addresses are laptop 169.254.95.69 and alpha 169.254.95.10. I tried turning off/on dynamic routing, setting the default gateway to 169.254.95.69 (laptop) and turning off/on providing network information; no change.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

This appears hopeless, but I'll try once more.

What's a "system not found error"?

It might be useful to see the actual IP
address and netmask values.

Actual commands used and actual responses
seen are much more helpful than vague
descriptions and/or metaphors.

If you can't better describe what you did and
what happened when you did it, perhaps you
should give up.
JKrucus
Frequent Advisor