108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

the software Migration from Alpha Server to Integrity Servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
hgping_1
Advisor

the software Migration from Alpha Server to Integrity Servers

Because the source code of the program lost,HP provides a tool to migrate the program from alpha server to integrity server, the tool named TIE. I migrate several programs like .EXE by this tool, some worked good in new hardware and software environment,but others didn't work good.The reason is this C program used Personal OLB file. This personal OLB library file in Alpha server also lost resource code.
Now,what can I do?Is there some other tools to migrate the OLB file?
thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: the software Migration from Alpha Server to Integrity Servers

OLB's are included in the linked exe file.
You might have references to sharable images (also .exe) that need to be translated too.

What is exactly going wrong (exact messages) ?

Wim (without Itanium)
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

hgping,

The Image Translator translates executable images and shareable libraries from Alpha to Integrity.

The key to using this tool is that it converts executable images and shareable libraries. OLB files are libraries of object files that are included into the executable image when the LINK command converts the OBJ file into an actual executable image.

In the actual processing, the use of an OLB file should not have any effect on the translation of the image.

It is more efficient and effective to change from the use of a shared OLB used at link time to an actual shareable image, which can be used by all of the programs. This shareable library image can in turn be translated using AEST (Alphaserver systems Environment System Translator; TIE, the Translated Image Environment is actually the name for the libraries that support the translated code when it is running on Integrity).

However, the use of an OLB should be invisible to AEST, as OLB files are only an alternate input source for the linker. What error messages are leading to the conclusion that the OLB files are the issue?

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
hgping_1
Advisor

Have done:
1.FTP the LIBLG.OLB by binary from alpha server to integrity server.
2.make a new program including the LIBLG.OLB
3.when Link the program, It display the following:
CXX /LIST/NOMEMBER_ALIGNMENT/PREFIX=ALL/WARNINGS/INC=([],SCC$INC) AWCHD1_DATA_IN.cpp
CXXLINK /MAP/EXEC=AWCHD1_DATA_IN.EXE AWCHD1_DATA_IN.OBJ,cmn$PROG:MAKEFILE.OPT/OPT
%ILINK-F-NOTOBJLIB, file TEST$DKA100:[MWGEN.LIB]LIBLG.OLB;1 is not an object library
%MMS-F-ABORT, For target AWCHD1_DATA_IN.EXE, CLI returned abort status: %X1789EABC.

I want to know if there is some other tools to migrate the OLB file, then I can make NEW programs using this OLB file in integrity server Openvms I64. What's the detail steps?
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

hgping,

If using the translator, you must LINK the all of the executables with the linker on the ALPHA, then translate to Integrity executables on the ALPHA. The only files that you move from the ALPHA to the Integrity are the EXE files (including the shareable images).

The simplest way to remember the rule is this: Executable files can be translated (type EXE); object files (file types OBJ and OLB) must be linked and translated on the ALPHA. ALPHA OBJ and OLB files have no use on Integrity, except for historical and archive purposes.

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

hgping,

My previous posting may not have been clear on one point.

If you want to use the modules contained in the OLB file with code that is freshly compiled on the Integrity (not translated), you will need to create a shareable library on your ALPHA and translate the shareable library for use on Integrity.

The translated shareable library can then be used by translated or native images on the Integrity.

hgping_1
Advisor

Thank you Robert
Now,I know "ALPHA OBJ and OLB files have no use on Integrity".
Yes,It's very good.
This means the old .exe programs in Alpha server can translate to integrity,It's OK.
But,the LIBLG.OLB is very important for us. We will make new program using this OLB file in integrity server. The resource code of LIBLG.OLB was lost.How to translate this file?
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Hqping,

As Bob said :
"you will need to create a shareable library on your ALPHA and translate the shareable library for use on Integrity".

So, on alpha you need to use LINK to create a EXE file from your olb (see link manual on how to do it). Then ftp the EXE to Integrity and translate it. Then you can use it in link operations on Itanium.

Wim
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

hgping,

Creating shareable libraries from OLB files and using the resulting shareable libraries is straightforward.

There is an Ask The Wizard entry on this topic. At the 2000 Compaq Enterprise Technology Forum, I presented a session which included a discussion of this and related topics. The slides from that session can be found at http://www.rlgsc.com/cets/2000/460.html

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

As bob says, it is relatively straightforward to create a shareable library from modules in an object library.. most of the time.
An object library may have multiple modules with the same entry points in it, but then you would be explicitly selecting moduled from the .olb to build your executable images. And there may be bad data attributes, but you might just be lucky.
$LIBR/LIST/NAMES will tell you a lot.

$LINKING/MAP/CROSS using popular modules from the library will tell you even more in the .MAP file (on Alplha).

>> But,the LIBLG.OLB is very important for us. We will make new program using this OLB file in integrity server. The resource code of LIBLG.OLB was lost.

You should re-evaluate how important really.
Are those functions 'convenience' routines like 'submit_job' or 'clear_screen' or 'generate_md5_checksum' or core workers like or specialized functions like 'generate_our_own_checksum'.

I feel that allowing folks to keep on using the .OLB provided modules will make you 'dig in'. The longer you do this, the harder it wil become to clean up later.
You may just have to 'bite the bullet' and re-code what was there, or search more aggresivelly for the lost source.

fwiw,
Hein.