108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ucx$mgt_thresholds - WBEM interface

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

ucx$mgt_thresholds - WBEM interface

Is anyone familiar with the WBEM interface on OpenVMS for HP Insight manager and had the problem of the thresholds not working?

We have one cluster for which all is well and another for which all is well with the exception of the thresholds. I doubt its usefulness in our situation but it annoys me that I cannot find out what is wrong the setting the thresholds.

I found a thread with Google on another site that said deleting the Ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat and the UCX$mgt_thresholds.bak will for the software to rebuild the files when the WBEM software is restarted. Now the CPQTHRESHOLD.log says it has an error linking to the ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat and .bak files but it does not create any new .dat file. There will be a new .bak file with 0(zero) blocks.

I have been revisiting the online manuals relating to this on both the HP/Compaq site and the Process software Multinet site. I am tripping over whatever it is but can not seem to see it.

I have sent a message to Process support to get the command for looking at the SNMP configuration more fully.

TIA,
-Zeni
28 REPLIES 28
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Zeni,

I'm not too much familiar with the WBEM agents, but have been running them on some of our systems 'just for fun'.

The files SYS$SYSTEM:ucx$mgt_thresholds.* most certainly do not belong to UCX/TCPIP, but to WBEM. None of the TCPIP$*.EXE images include references to those files. It seems to only be used by cpqthresh_mib.exe.

You can manually run CPQTHRESH_MIB.EXE with trace and debug (and $ SET WATCH FILE/CLASS=MAJOR) e.g.

$ cpqt:==$SYS$SPECIFIC:CPQTHRESH_MIB.EXE
$ set watch file/class=MAJ
$ cpqt -warn -error -trace

It tries to access ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat and .bak and creates a new .bak file if it didn't find one. It then complains with the 'error linking sys$system:ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat and sys$system:ucx$mgt_thresholds.bak' message.

It does not create a new .dat file.

You can manually copy the .bak to .dat. CPQTHRESH_MIB will then delete the .dat file and create a new .dat file from the old .bak. You can edit the .DAT file and insert text, but you have to know the syntax, otherwise you'll get:

WARNING CPQTHRESHOLDMGMT_PERSIST.C line 478: badly formatted persistence record: TEST

I tried this with V82_MGMTAGENTS V3.1-5

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

the HP Insight Management Agents for OpenVMS Release Notes Version 3.3 (available via OpenVMS F8.3 fieldtest) include the following section:

2. Problems Corrected
. OpenVMS Management Agents do not allow setting of Disk/CPU/Memory thresholds

I'll give it a try.

Volker.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

A few months ago I reported to HP a problem with setting thresholds from TCPware or MultiNet until I had set up TCP/IP Services for the management agents. I would expect that this would be fixed in upcoming releases.

Richard Whalen,
Process Software.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

I've installed V83_MGMTAGENT V3.3-1 on our OpenVMS Alpha F8.3 field test system running TCPIP T5.6, but I can't get Save Thresholds to work. I can move the threshold indicators and 'Reset to Origianl Values' works as well, but clicking on 'Save Thresholds' clears the frame in the page and then nothing happens. Refreshing the page shows the (orignally disabled) threshold indicators.

If I delete the ucx$mgt_thresholds.* files, only a new/empty ucx$mgt_thresholds.bak file will be created after WBEM$STARTUP.

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

if you have the WBEM thresholds working on one of your system, which version of WBEM and what does the contents of the ucx$mgt_threshold.dat look like ?

Volker.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

I left out of my original post that our systems are v7.3-2 ES47s with Multinet 4.4a. Thresholds manipulation is working on one set of clustered hosts. The thresholds are not working on the other. When you display a page that is supposed to allow manipulation there should be the boxes at the bottom for "reset originals" and "save" . I am not getting the bottom of those pages.

Whatever is supposed to go out and poll the devices to build the ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat file is not working. All I get is the null ucx$mgt_thresholds.bak file.

I tried running the cpqthresh_mib with debug as you suggested. After the initial , status successful for finding required images, there is warning about the missing .Dat file and if the .Bak is missing an warning about that but it creates the .Bak (null) file. Then there is an error about unable to link to the files. Then it talks to agentX apparently successfully. One of the early requests to the AgentX gets a "request denied" response but thereafter there are three "time to poll" message , followed by an "are you there" and a response back from AgentX that appears to confirm that it is responsive.

Sorry , I cannot attach the results. I will look at them more closely and I will try it on one of the systems where the thresholds are working for comparison.

It has been a while but I thought my co-worker (who manages the hosts where the thresholds work) could not save the settings at one time but the account was missing the WBEM administrator identifier.

the ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat on the system where it works contains SNMP information as best I can tell for communiting with the devices (?). The syntax looks like something that I saw when reading about the SNMP. eg.
1 1 4 3 30 05 03 4 1
Insight Web Agent
-device
similar number strings
then 17 Insight Web Agent 8
- another device
similar number strings
- ad nauseum

I think I tried copying over the .dat file and got the error message about unable to read the syntax. All the information was wrong for that host ...

Volker,
thanks for looking. Some of the errors that you see are the ones that I see.

I tried reinstalling on one of the hosts in the hope that a minimal (but functional) ucx file would be created. That didn't happen.

I don't think I am dealing with a bug as such. It is working on a similar set of hosts with same software. There is just so many minor tweaks that have to be done when installing it, that I have missed something.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

in case of the missing 'Reset threshold' and 'Save threshold' buttons, I had to edit the SYS$SPECIFIC:[WBEM.WEB.IM.WEBAGENT]WEBAGENT.INI file

change IDS_SNMP_WRITE_COMMUNITY=noelmginkgo
to IDS_SNMP_WRITE_COMMUNITY=elmginkgo

AND also execute:

$ TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION SNMP/COMMUNITY="elmginkgo" -
/TYPE=(WRITE)/ADDRESS=127.0.0.1

(or the equivalent command for Multinet). Followed by a restart of SMNP and WBEM.

Volker.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

The WebAgent.Ini file has been edited. With Multinet , community settings are done with the SNMPD.CONF file and then reloading the SNMP$SERVER. I have checked security settings and locations of the added TCPIP images. I have compared the .INI and the SNMPD.CONF file with the hosts where the thresholds work.

I tried removing the READ access from the public community and found that I could get only minimal information with WBEM software.

I have considered adding Write/Traps access to the public just to see if that makes a difference. If it does, then I know that somehow my community setup is wrong.

I found the TCPIP command for checking the community configuration. I asked Process Support for a similar command. What I got was more of a dump of the MIB counters, I think; results from elmginkgo specification were the same as with public. just the counters were slightly different due to the time elapsed. This may be normal.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

I could finally get 'Save Thesholds' to work with the following command:

$ TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION SNMP /FLAG=SETS

and re-starting both SNMP and WBEM. The file sys$system:ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat gets created and written to.

You might need to find the equivalent command for Multinet.

Volker.