108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ucx$mgt_thresholds - WBEM interface

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

One thing to verify for MultiNet and TCPware is the community settings in the SNMPD.CONF file. You'll want to have the following:

community elmginkgo 127.0.0.1 write
community elmginkgo write
community public 0.0.0.0 read

And in SYS$SYSROOT:WEBAGENT.INI
you want the following:
IDS_SNMP_WRITE_COMMUNITY=elmginkgo

"elmginkgo" can be changed, just make sure that all get changed the same way.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

I just tried on one of my systems running V3.3-1 of the management agents and I was not able to set thresholds until I had done the following commands:
$ TCPIP SET CONFIG/COMMUNITY="elmginkgo"/type=write

So, I do not believe that V3.3-1 has fixed the problem that I reported earlier this year.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Volker, I have been going round in circles trying to fit that command for SETS to the multinet form. I did not find any references to "SETS" in the multinet manual relating to the SNMP server.

Robert, I had the loopback address for Public. I have changed it to 0.0.0.0 and have reloaded SNMP server and restarted the WBEM software. No difference.

I copied over the ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat from the other host. Restarting the WBEM gave me the graphics as if the thresholds had been set where the two system matched. But there was no response when I tried to change them. The "picture" was all I got - no substance. When I stopped and restarted, the file was replaced with a new file that contained just the first few lines.

I tried adding "SETS" in to the community settings like READ, WRITE, and TRAPS. I got the message in the SNMPSERVER.LOG that it encountered a error.

Thanks for the effort.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

FWIW The SNMPD.CONF has entries for
community public 0.0.0.0 READ
community elmginkgo 127.0.0.1 READ
community elmginkgo 127.0.0.1 WRITE
community elmginkgo 127.0.0.1 TRAPS
community public xx.xx.xx.xx READ
community elmginkgo xx.xx.xx.xx READ
community elmginkgo xx.xx.xx.xx WRITE
community elmginkgo xx.xx.xx.xx TRAPS

AGENTX_PEER 127.0.0.1
AGENTX_PEER host's ip address

I can't seem to find any reason why the UCX$MGT_THRESHold.dat is not created. It must be failing in it polling somehow. In using the cpqt setup that Volker described, I did the output changed slightly when the UCX$MGT_THRESHold.dat had a bit of a few records. That would lead me to believe that
the cpqt was using the UCX$MGT_THRESHOLDS.DAT for input.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Richard,

the necessary command:

$ TCPIP SET CONFIG/COMMUNITY="elmginkgo"/type=(write)/ADDRESS=127.0.0.1

is described in the Installation Guide, but only in chapter 6 ( Smart Array Agent Configuration ), so it is NOT obvious, that it's also REQURIED to make 'Save Thresholds' work.

But the User Guide Chapter 2 (Enabling SNMP Traps) lists those commands:

$ TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION SNMP/FLAG=SETS

$ TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION SNMP/COMMUNITY="elmginkgo" -
_$ /TYPE=(WRITE)/ADDRESS=127.0.0.1

$ TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION SNMP/COMMUNITY="elmginkgo" -
_$ /TYPE=(WRITE)/ADDRESS=ip_address

Volker.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

Your SNMPD.CONF looks good. Try doing the TCPIP SET CONFIG SNMP/COMMUNITY="elmginkgo"/type=write/address=127.0.0.1 command. There is no equivalent MultiNet command. This is the bug that I mentioned earlier. You may have to reboot the system without MultiNet running to use enough of TCP/IP services to get this to work.

Volker,

I work for Process Software, not HP, so I can't do much to improve their documentation.

Richard Whalen
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

??? Both clusters are using Multinet - the one where thresholds work and the one where thresholds don't work. Why would changing something in the TCPIP$CONFIGURATION make a difference. As soon as I return to MULTINET, the change would be lost, right?

Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

I understand the idea that the change would be lost when you return to MultiNet after making the TCP/IP Services change, but that is not the case. The TCPIP SET CONFIG command modifies something in TCPIP$CONFIGURATION.DAT. One of the processes involved in setting thresholds reads this file, even though it shouldn't (when it isn't running under TCP/IP Services).

Richard
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Very Interesting. This could be the key but I would never have guessed it. The hosts where the thresholds are working never had TCPIP installed on them. We had just extracted the necessary TCPIP images from the distribution. The hosts where it is not working did have TCPIP installed. I had tried using in briefly but removed it from the startup files. Information in any of the TCPIP*.dat files would be erroneous.

On one of the hosts, I tried renamimg the .DAT files to something else and tried restarting SNMP and WBEM. That did not make any difference. Later today I will try a reboot. If that doesn't work, I will try the turning-off of Multinet (reboot) and modify TCPIP (with the .DAT files back to original) and then reboot again.

I will definitely post if this resolves my mystery.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Richard,

I have been informed (via PTR), that the Management Agents V3.4 Installation Guide has been updated with references to the User's Guide for enabling the SETS and SNMP traps with TCPIP.

Volker.