108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ucx$mgt_thresholds - WBEM interface

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Without rebooting, I put the tcpip*.dat files back to original names. I executed Sys$startup:tcpip$startup.com. I got a message about no license. I invoked TCPIP and made the following changes.
SET CONFIG SNMP/FLAG=(SETS,AUTHEN_TRAP)
SET CONFIG SNMP/COMMUNITY="elmginkgo"/TYPE=(read,write,trap)/ADDR=127.0.0.1
SHOW CONFIG SNMP/FULL

I added in the ip-address of the host for the elmginkgo but that may be unnecessary.

I stopped and restarted the WBEM tool. Everything starts but WBEM$SERVER dies quickly. Looking at the WEBSERVER.LOG the following is given:
Enter CpqHmmoConfigureHTTPServer...
......past config active disc, error = 9
......past clear reconnect flag, error = 9
Leave CpqHmmoConfigureHTTPServer...
Leave HMMOStartupHTTPServer, error= 9
HTTP Server did not start
:
WBEM$Server proceeds to exit handler

I feel like I am closer but the results don't bear it out. Rebooting may take care of some inconsistency that I have added by changing the TCPIP configuration the way I did.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Richard,

The TCPIP SET CONFIG command modifies something in TCPIP$CONFIGURATION.DAT. One of the processes involved in setting thresholds reads this file, even though it shouldn't (when it isn't running under TCP/IP Services).

I tested this theory by setting an ALARM ACE on TCPIP$CONFIGURATION.DAT and yes, TCPIP SET CONF SNMP accesses this file, but none of the WBEM$* processes seem to access this file during startup or when saving thresholds (at least when running TCPIP).

Volker.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Though the TCPIP issue seems compelling, after setting the SNMP in the configuration file and rebooting with Multinet, I still do not have ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat file and the threshold functions still are not displayed at the bottom of the pages that are supposed to have those options.

I could go back and rename the tcpip*.dat files and reboot. Maybe their presence is a problem.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Rename all TCPIP*.dat files in Sys$Startup and Sys$syste to .DAT_OLD . Rebooted. No change.

I have compared the results of the cpqt trace on the system with thresholds to one that doesn't and the initial sequence is very similar.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

I put an alarm ACE on SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$CONFIGURATION.DAT and did not get any alarms while starting the agents or setting thresholds under TCPware. (The test system is running TCPware at the moment; TCPware and MultiNet's SNMP Agent are build from common sources.)

Richard
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

My brain is hurting with this one. I have tried to build an ucx$mgt_thresholds.dat but keep getting a syntax error early on. I used a copy of a file from another host and output from MU Show /SNMP=localhost /community="elm.."/MIB

Device info is listed with somthing like enterprise.232.2.2.2.4.5 in the multinet output but in the file there is a number string like 2.23.2.1.3.232.2.2.2.4.5

The output from the cpqt that Volker posted is where I am determining that there is a problem with the file.
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

"enterprise" is 1.3.6.1.4.1
232 is compaq, which most of the mibs are registered under
36 is DEC (you'll see one of these in a cluster)
1.3.6.1.2.1 is transmission with .7 being CSMA/CD (ethernet)

I set some cpu utilization thresholds on my test machine and I really don't know what most of the lines are in there.

The first number on the first line appears to be some sort of threshold instance number. The sixth number in the first line appears to be the threshold value (50 for 50% utilization). The seven number appears to be 2 less than the sixth number.

The second line is the MIB object

No guess on the third line, but it is the count of the number of characters in the fourth line.

The fourth line is what set the threshold

No guess on the fifth line, but it is the count of the number of characers in the sixth line.

The sixth line is a textual description of the threshold set.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

This is way late but I finally went through the steps for installing WBEM with JAVA 1.4.2 on a system that had TCPIP installed but never used. The directory [TCPIP$SNMp] did not exist and HR_MIB did not stay started. I added an output to the run command for HR_MIB and found that it was looking for TCPIP$VMS_SNMP_CONF.DAT in the Sys$sysdevice:[TCPIP$SNMP] directory. I have overlooked that piece of the setup. Once the HR_MIB was happy, the threshhold were available through the HP Insight software. Going back to the original host for which this thread was posted , I decided to rename the [TCPIP$SNMp] to something else and create a new one with just the one file in it. After stopping and restarting SNMP and the WBEM software, the threshhold were now available for manipulation.

Just posting this to close out the thread.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

On Hosts that are using Multinet for TCPIP interface to HP Insights, HR_MIB will use/look for other files in the Sys$SysDevice:[TCPIP$SNMP] directory if the files exist from a previous TCPIP install. Clearing the directory of all but the one file, TCIPI$VMS_SNMP_CONF.DAT, that it needs (as documented) cleared up the problem with the threshhold feature not working with HP Insights.