5030 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: using mount/bind in OpenVMS 8.3

Lucie
Frequent Advisor

Steve,
Thank you for your sound advice. I have a feeling it will still crash after the VMS update. The job has been running fine until September. The oracle developers have finally loaded the database and the job was taking several days to complete. We made a change to RMAN to use 3 channel threads instead on 1. The system started to crash the change. We have since backed out of the change are running on a single channel but the job continues to crash the system.
I will take your suggestion and continue to work with HP engineers on the crash.
Lucie
Hoff
Honored Contributor

> The oracle developers have finally loaded the database and the job was taking several days to complete

Several days?

Lacking rather more detail on the scale of the data and the hardware here beyond the obvious presence of Fibre Channel and a terabyte spindle or three, there can be no certainty here.

That written (and in the absence of a sufficiently large wad of data involved here), there might well be a database design issue here, or (and here's where DECset PCA or database-level monitoring can help) there looks to be a bottleneck lurking here somewhere.

Several days is a rather long run for an application. (And yes, I do know of stuff that runs days or weeks...)

Hopefully the database folks have implemented some sort of checkpointing here. And hooks for parallelism and/or database sharding and/or server upgrades are hopefully planned, within the constraints of the application requirements.