108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

verification of cluster password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: verification of cluster password

> [...] and would be sharing the system disk.
> So I couldn't just do the copy.

Why not? Wouldn't that make it easier?
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

It would be adding a new sysroot to the current system disk. Think it requires the cluster group and cluster password for that operation.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>>> In this config it would be a new node joining an existing cluster and would be sharing the system disk. So I couldn't just do the copy.

You need do nothing here to change or reset the password. Add the root, and off you go. If you're offered a way to change it, bypass or ignore it.

Worst case, snapshot CLUSTER_AUTHORIZE around the process, then replace it after any changes are made when adding the node and before the new node boots.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Peter,

if you are sharing the ssytem disk, you are all set to go!

This is one problem that is not a problem at all :-)

Remember, to ADD a node, you start executing Cluster_config --- from a running cluster node---. So the cluster-autotize is just available.
Just add the node, no fuzz about cluster password, and "Thunderbirds are GO"

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Well I will know once they give me a green light to merge the node to cluster. Waiting on the project approval and then I have to get network involved, disks setup to migrate, etc. Unfortunately the paperwork approvals could take me right up to the date of when they wanted it done.

Either way - I will try to update to let everyone know if I had to put in or not. Lets hope for not needed.

Btw - I was familiar with the copy around of the cluster_authorization.dat file. Did that on other clusters where they wanted seperate system disks to be able to play with patch levels.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Peter,

If you are sharing the system disk, you can do the creation of the [SYSnnnn] directory tree manually. I have done it that way many times.

-Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Peter,

I can confirm, that if you add another node to a shared system disk with LAN being used as cluster interconnect, that CLUSTER_CONFIG will NOT ask for the cluster group number and password (just checked a session logfile of a previous installation).

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Peter,

I can confirm Bob Gezelter (as always, pretty hard to trap him on mistakes :-) ).
Adding an extra root by hand really IS pretty simple (provided you intend to build a pretty much homogeneous cluster), and after doing it a few times, may even be quicker than CLUSTER_CONFIG. However, CLUSTER_CONFIG _IS_ the safer option!
It _IS_ quite easy to miss one or two SYS$SPECIFIC essentials.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

I used to create the sysroot manually at an old job. Can't find my notes on it. Had to be careful because we also use Multinet and had to create those links. Was at that job we found the cluster limit was set at 96 (and a work around beyond that but DEC wouldn't support it).