108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vms disk help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

vms disk help

Upon booting vms, i get quue manager cannot start...needs 3522 free blocks....So I boot into (what unix calls) single user mode on alpha.
>>>boot -FLAGS 0,1
SYSBOOT>set/startup opa0:
SYSBOOT>set window_system 0
SYSBOOT>set writesysparams 0
SYSBOOT>continue (does its thing)
$>define/system/exec decw$ignore_workstation true
$>spawn
$>mount/override=id dka0:
dka0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]MOUNTSHR.EXE;1
Protected images must be installed
$>
Now How do I mount the all the VMS partitions (or volumes)so I can find some files to delete or logs to delete? I need 3522 Blocks free for queue manager to start during normal boot.
10 REPLIES 10
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you do a

$ sh dev d

you should find the system disk already mounted, this where the queue manager database and journal files would be, the display from sh dev d will give you the free space on the volume.

hth

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Matthew,

There are a couple of ways of doing this. One is to do a Minimum boot (SET STARTUP_P1 "MIN").

When I want to gain control to fix something, I often use the SET /STARTUP=OPA0: trick. In that case, the system is not fully up when the "$" prompt is reached. Generally, I do a SPAWN, and then execute STARTUP.COM.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

Instead of 'set/startup opa0:', try 'set startup_p1 "MIN"' as your first sysboot comand. This will do a minimum startup.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

Mark > Ok I saw that it was mounted, but what do i do next?

Robert, David > Ok I did that then the second sysboot> I typed in "continue", it continued to try to start Decnet (which isnt licensed), the at the $, my keyboard stopped responding. In a previous attempt yesterday, I beleive I typed in set noon.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Matthew,

The attempted startup of DECnet should not be a problem. For that matter, there is really no need to reboot in the first place.

The loss of available space is most likely caused by some files being continuously extended and not archived. Log files are common culprits, but I have seen many other causes.

Correct the space problem, and the Queue Manager can be restarted without a reboot (This is OpenVMS).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

try

$ dir/siz/sel=siz=(min='number_of_blocks') sys$sysdevice:[000000...]*.*;*

to help you narrow down the search, do you know what you are looking for ?

fwiw

Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

OpenVMS Tips: Your System Disk is Full? DEVICEFULL? ...
http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/939
comarow
Trusted Contributor

One additional step. Sometimes files are
deleted when they are open so they are simply
marked for delete.

When the system is quiet do an
Analyze/disk/repair to free the deleted files
(and find other problems on the disk.

BTW, some files get huge over time
such as the errorlog file, accountng.dat
$set account/new will create a new accountng.dat file.
mcr jbcsyscommand 1
will help clean up your queue file.

Store those under steps to take.

Have fun,
Bob
Hoff
Honored Contributor

FWIW...

If you can't find two megabytes of file storage to nuke, you're probably way too close to your installed disk capacity for comfort and best operation.

Operating close to capacity has its direct problems and direct consequences (such as this case) and also tends to cause indirect problems such as excessive disk fragmentation and the associated and lowered I/O performance, and hotter drives.

There are OEM 300 GB SCSI disks around (new) for under US$350 (some assembly required), and thus replacing too-small spindles is often a viable an option. On the used-equipment auction market, the DEC and Compaq 18 GB StorageWorks drives are about the bottom tier disks available when last I looked; anything smaller isn't usually worth buying (barring cases when the equipment vendor provides a warranty, if you want that); for geographies with sufficient installed hardware bases, 18 GB and smaller tends to be trash, or "haul it off for free" size.