1753781 Members
7392 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vms license costs

sandy test
Frequent Advisor

vms license costs

We are considering moving from vax to alpha platforms, and some questions popped up regarding vms licenses.
1. Is there a published price list for vms licenses?
2. Is the price based on cpu or just number of users?
3. Is there a price brake on "transferring" licenses from computer to computer?
4. Is there a price difference in buying the licenses for a used inhouse alpha (currently running unix) as verses a "bundled" new alpha?
Thanks
Sandy
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Sandy,

the best would be to ask a HP about upgrade programs, for a starter see:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/upgrades.html
The mentioned VAX-Alpha Upgrade program has ended.

Why do you want to move to Alpha and not I64?
There may be better programs available.

regards Kalle
sandy test
Frequent Advisor

Itanium is not possible -- our software vendor hasn't ported to it yet, and therefore alphaservers are the only answer for the next 6 months or so. Checked out chevron-vax, but that is also fairly expensive.
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

In interests of full disclosure, I am a CHARON-VAX reseller.

CHARON-VAX pricing is dependent on the model to be emulated. Actually, the price for the one that runs on Alpha emulating a VAX 6610 is pretty cheap. Contact me at stan@stanq.com if you don't already have a reseller relationship.

The performance you get by emulating a VAX on an Alpha will be a *very* small fraction of a native Alpha application. I'd recommend CHARON-VAX only if the layered products you need aren't available on Alpha.

Is the software vendor that you're dependent on going to move to Itanium, or haven't they decided yet? You need to get their committment. I'd recommend that you also evaluate the binary translator to run it on Itanium -- that's going to get you to cutting edge hardware.

As for licenses (your original topic), I'd lean on HP, starting at the local level, and escalate until you get to an Executive VP. Heck, companies are always making deals that aren't part of the "official" policy. The squeaking wheel does get greased.
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Sandy,

I don't think there is published price list for VAX/ALPHA/OpenVMS products.
Recently we purchased Alpha systems and VMS licenses from both resellers and HP. I would suggest you go to HP directly as we found there are so many problems with reselllers (cost difference, assembled with old/incompatible parts, and change in the shipment time). If you ready spend the time, you can find good resellers too. HP is fast, relaible, responsible support in the future.

There is a Concurrent-Use License for OpenVMS 8.2, The OpenVMS Concurrent-Use Licenses are available in any quantity desired except unlimited; no more Individual User License, and OpenVMS Alpha Distributed Interactive User License.

you can go thru this link for HP lic related contact info: http://licensing.hp.com/swl/view.slm;jsessionid=aaa6wvheWA-aIro6PD?page=swlwelcome

Archunan
Regards
Archie
sandy test
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all the input guys. I will follow your advice and try approching HP directly instead of through the reseller.

-Sandy