5564 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vms mail

Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

vms mail

Hi,

Our ES40 sends our statements out to our customers however when the customers reply it comes back to the wrong address.
It is putting the user@node.domain.com and i don't want the node part how can i change this?

Many Thanks
Pete
12 REPLIES 12
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: vms mail

Hi Peter,
You could define the logical TCPIP$SMTP_FROM like this:

$ Define TCPIP$SMTP_FROM "user@domain.com"

Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The former reply presumes DCL-level MAIL access and that's usually a very safe bet, and a good approach for most cases.

If you're doing this from within some local application code via the MAIL$ API and not directly from DCL, you can also choose to set the return address via the API, too.

Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Yes i have changed for dcl and works fine but it is from the software that they are getting a problem.... so there is no global setting that will make all mail have the reply address user@domain.com?
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Assuming SMTP through TCPIP services for VMS (UCX), then IMHO the right way to do it is through defining a substitute domain.

TCPIP> HELP SET CONFIG SMTP /SUBSTITUTE

This will insert from user@domain for all users, wether Mail from DCL or program API.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

If the mail API is VMS callable mail, then the TCPIP SMTP settings should be honoured I think.
If the API is through some direct socket call to a mail server, then of course not.

For VMS mail also check logicals:
"MAIL$INTERNET_MODE" = "SMTP"
"MAIL$INTERNET_TRANSPORT" = "SMTP"
"MAIL$PROTOCOL_SMTP" = "TCPIP$SMTP_MAILSHR"
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd expect the logical name to be honored, but I've (also) learned not to assume anything around how unknown application code and an unknown server is implemented.

It would not surprise me to find that, for instance, there's some php code in use here that sends out the mail directly. And that likely won't honor the logical name.

Go look at the code and see what it's actually doing.

The classic OpenVMS approach of MAIL at DCL or the MAIL API isn't as ubiquitous as it once was. It's trivial to connect into a remote email server from php code, for instance.

And we don't even know that this is the TCP/IP Services IP stack yet. Off-hand, I don't know if the Process IP stacks uniformly implement the TCPIP$SMTP_FROM mechanism.

If this is TCP/IP Services here (and if you are using the stack directly and not a remote stack!), then the replacement domain command syntax is a decent bet.

Do some digging on your server, and see what you have for an IP stack, and take a look at how this stuff is implemented in your environment.
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

I ran TCPIP> HELP SET CONFIG SMTP /SUBSTITUTE_DOMAIN=NAME=domain.com and now i don't even receive a mail when i send it?
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

You mean, You don't get a reply ?
Of course You can have a from address of user@mail_domain only, if there is a mail receiver at address mail_domain, and the receiver must be able to find the user.
Is the VMS system the receiver ? or some other mail server system ?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Upstream mail servers (those that do permit relay, and relay is almost certainly restricted) can get cranky when they receive relays from new or changed or "spoofed" domains.