7095 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

vtest from cyrano

Jean-François Piéronne
Trusted Contributor

vtest from cyrano

Hello,

I'm looking for information on a product named vtest.
I'm would be very interesting if someone know how to retreive some documentation as the product seem to have disappeared.

Thanks,

Jean-François
6 REPLIES 6
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: vtest from cyrano

PARIS (AFX) - The group Cyrano, specializing in test software, announced on
Tuesday that it was obliged to put itself in liquidation, the corporation
being unable to face its obligations from the end of the month of October.

"None of the different routes considered to allow the corporation to finance
itself and to produce a continuation plan have resulted", note the group.

The state of the market and the extreme prudence of capital-risk corporations
have not allowed us to divest ourselves of non-core strategies and release
funds for a continuation plan, explain Cyrano.

In May, the corporation, quoted on the New Market of the Paris Bourse, had
already announced a redundancy plan for some 25 persons. At the outcome of
this redundancy plan, the corporation would have had 90 staff. The shares had
been suspended in the course of the day, pending a statement.

Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Jean-François Piéronne
Trusted Contributor

Thanks,

vtest from opensta appear to be the same name but a different product (http workload test for win32)
vtest for VMS is a product to automate test on VMS.

JF
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

They are back (read the green stuff).
http://www.vedanthealth.com/htdocs/

But didn't find the word VMS yet (but Google did).

Wim
Wim
Keith Cayemberg
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jean-François,

the OpenSTA product appears to evolved from the original V-TEST.

By the way, I was a SE Manager evaluating and using V-TEST from Performance Software on OpenVMS a little over 10 years ago. I believe that I still have the paper-based manuals in storage. I liked the their regression testing through virtual terminals concept, and found the session scripting capability quit useful for various tasks even outside of unit and integration testing.

It would be interesting if the product could be recovered as an open source offering or even as a commercial product again. It was very well integrated with OpenVMS including OpenVMS security concepts.

See...
http://portal.opensta.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=PerformanceSoftware

Performance Software Limited

English software company formed by a management buyout of the Systel Product Group of Systime. Systime were a very successful manufacturer of clones of DEC VT terminals amongst other things. Performance Software was formed to take over development and sales of Systel a widely used OLTP system which runs under OpenVMS.

The development division produced a suite of products running on OpenVMS, leveraging their knowledge of the OpenVMS system and the codebase of the stable but now aging Systel. The premier product of these tools was V-Test, a testing suite for character cell based applications running on OpenVMS. V-TEST could be used to do functional, regression, load and stress testing of character cell based applications using VirtualUser's and its powerful scripting language, SCL. Ports of V-Test were attempted to various unix environments but none were very successful from a sales point of view, or the fact that the straight ports of the heavily OpenVMS based applications did not fit well in the unix environment.

As the character cell market began to die back work was put into making V-Test work in other testing spheres, one of the more successful of these experiments was/is sold under the name Impact. This toolset used the scripting and virtual user capablities of V-Test, now ported to Windows NT, taken into the Sybase RDBMS sphere. A partnership with a French company, IMM, with expertise in database tuning meant that Impact could be used to load test and tune Sybase databases. The partnership with IMM grew and eventually led to the merger of IMM and Performance Software to produce CYRANO. Under CYRANO V-Test would simply become CYRANO Test and parts of Impact would eventually morph into OpenSTA.
Keith Cayemberg
Consultant
Wipro Technologies
Jean-François Piéronne
Trusted Contributor

Wim, Keith,

thanks for those informations.

I agree, it would be very nice if the product will become open source or available again, it's a show stopper for a fairly large Itanium migration.

JF