108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: web connection to openvms

SOLVED
Go to solution
nycdata

web connection to openvms

Hey!

Guys, I am new to this forum. It looked greatly helpful so I thought maybe any one of you might have some information on this.

I am developing an application to connect a jsp page to a RDB database which is running on OPENVMS VAX (not ALPHA) platform. It seems like there are JDBC drivers to connect to RDB for ALPHA platform.

I have been really unsuccessful to find a way to connect the jsp page to the oracle RDB database running on VAX.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated!!
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor
Solution

The JDBC kit from Oracle only runs on Alpha.
May be the Attunity Connect product may help you, see http://www.attunity.com/products/OpenVMS.Asp
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

To clarify Karl's response:

Java and everything related to it are Alpha-only, as the VAX lacks the required IEEE floating point arithmetic, and an emulation has proven to be too slow.

That said, and admitting I've no real insight to Java and JSP, is it really necessary to have an RDB server-side Java component to this? Don't all these cleint components connect to the RDB network server?

HTH,
Martin
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

you could use the JBDC drivers on another platform to connect to RDB via SQL/Services on your VAX.

"you could use the JBDC drivers on another platform to connect to RDB via SQL/Services on your VAX."

Ian,

Buddy...can you guide me little bit towards that direction??

Please!
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

On the platform running your web server (OpenVMS Alpha or another platform) you could have the JDBC drivers loaded. These allow java code to open an ODBC connection to a database which is on another systdem (in your case a VAX). SQL/Services is an addon to RDB which supports incoming ODBC connections. The detail I know not as my VMS software development experiance is of a more traditional nature (C, MACRO-32 etc) :-)

ODBC driver for Windows can be downloaded (after registration, probably) from
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/rdb/htdocs/rdb_odbc/index.html

It might be possible - depending on the platform - to use the JDBC connection (Unix. Windows). What you need is the RDB-specific one. To be downloaded from http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/rdb/htdocs/rdb_jdbc/index.html

In all cases you'll need SQLServices running on the VAX. this uses a TCP connection to have the outside world connect to the database (the same way as Oracle-Oracle does, but on a different port)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
nycdata

GREAT!!! THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!! THANKS SO MUCH!! THIS SEEMS TO BE GOOD INFORMATION!! I AM GOING TO DEFINITELY GIVE THIS A SHOT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS...IF IT WORKS..AS I SAID..I WILL POST IT EVERYWHERE ON THE WEB SO NOBODY WILL EVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS IN FUTURE..THANKS ALOT !!
Chris Barratt
Frequent Advisor

The native Rdb JDBC thin driver which can be used from all Java platforms requires that the supplied server program be running on the database node. Since this program is written in Java, this cannot presumably be run on the Vax.
The native Rdb thick driver requires I believe only runs on VMS, and requires Rdb be installed on the node.
The native JDBC drivers therefore do not use SQL Services.
I believe you can use the ORacle Oracle JDBC drivers against SQL*NET via SQL Services, but I have not tried this. There should be some info on this on Oracle Metalink.

There is a later version of JDBC drivers than the ones that I have played with, which uses SQL Services to manage starting the servers - however, I am not sure if the server processes themselves still require Java.
nycdata

I'm going to try that..thanks a lot buddy..

tomorrow is the day!!

:)