New Discussion юеВ

webes - whatever happened to "simple"?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

webes - whatever happened to "simple"?

Hi all,

2 days ago, I re-installed webes v443 because it had expired. now it tells me it's due to expire again. Ok, so I get the newer wersion of webes for alpha vms & I get the following...

WEBES V4.4-3 is currently installed.
Do you wish to upgrade to WEBES V4.5-1?[YES]: Yes
Detecting the version of OS on which WEBES 4.5-1 will be installed...

The current version of VMS operating system is supported
WEBES can be upgraded on this system
Continue with the upgrade...

WEBES 4.5-1 can only be installed / upgraded on ODS-5 disk. The existing WEBES
version is installed on a non ODS-5 disk. To install WEBES 4.5-1 and specify new settings,
uninstall the existing version and then install WEBES 4.5-1 on a ODS-5 disk.

Exiting the WEBES upgrade.

$1$DGA30:[VMS$COMMON.SYSMGR]_>uptime
OpenVMS V7.3-2 on node IDXT2 27-FEB-2007 14:13:45.22 Uptime 38 22:04:53
$1$DGA30:[VMS$COMMON.SYSMGR]_>

Why is this requiring an ODS5 disk? My disks are ODS2 and not likely to be changed. Webes is the only software I can use to check the error log on my ES47's - why am I being told how I have to set up my systems (2 node remote cluster)? It there any way I can just have the exisiting v443 continue running without upgrading?

Thanks,
Rich
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: webes - whatever happened to "simple"?

Webes uses a lot of JAVA and the ODS5 may come from it. You may create a lD container disk and init it as ODS5 device and install webes into it to avoid converting a 'real' disk into ODS5.

We run almost every disk as ODS5 since years now without any problems.

regards Kalle
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The ANALYZE/ERROR/ELV command can usually provide a simple bit-to-text error translation for the basic errors. Have you tried ELV?

ELV was first added into OpenVMS V7.3-2; you have it.

And yes, WEBES and WEBEM and SEA and SIM do seem to lack a certain simplicity and a certain clarity of purpose. Which is unfortunate, as these tools are also quite powerful and capable. Though in their defense, what these tools deal with is also comparatively big, hairy and ugly problem.

For errors outside the basic ones that ELV knows about, the event tools are the ones needed to decode the errors.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rich,

you don't need to re-install WEBES to reset the expiration time. Use

$ DESTA SERVOB CHANGE

and answer the questions.

Volker.
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

1st of all, *thank you* all for your responses.

Kalle - create Id container - ODS5
I was not aware I could do that - I typically don't "intermix" structures - I'll see how it works on my test cluster; if I feel "brave" (folks exepect that to be up *almost* as much as the "Live" system)

Hoff - ELV - I'm not familiar with those initials - I'll look them up and find out about it

Volker a *perfect* example of "simple" - no more need be said - appears to have worked like a *charm*...

Thank You all again
Rich
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rich,

ELV is the Error Log Viewer, a native ERRLOG.SYS translation tool added back into OpenVMS after ANAL/ERR ceased to work since OpenVMS Alpha V7.1-2.

$ ANAL/ERR/ELV can read ERRLOG.SYS, but unfortunately it is very limited in being able to actually translate errors into readable text. You won't find much errors, which it can successfully translate - except timestamps ;-(

For all the real and interesting errors, you still need the additional analysis tools like DECevent and WEBES (SEA). Note that you can run WEBES (SEA) also on non-OpenVMS platforms...

Volker.
Rich Hearn
Regular Advisor

Volker,

Thank you for the information. I did go check out "help anal/err/elv" on one of my VMS systems and found the info on it. It is rather handy to have, but your DESTA SERVOB CHANGE was the real answer. Thank you very much for your time & knowledge that you apply to these forums & my question in particular.

Have a great day & thanks gain,
Rich
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

The same command Hoff gave was the one I got from HP engineering. I didn't want to take a hit from NOT having webes running. Takes forever for me to get approval to install or change anything on production and thats only after I test it.

I am going to also be doing a convert on one of my systems disks to ods-5. I currently have webes on system disk and will be migrating the tool to another disk.

The webes can be setup to give you messages prior to expiring. Look into setting up that email so you get them and keep that servob change command - it may come in handy.