Operating System - OpenVMS
1748183 Members
3712 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: what is DEC Forms run time and How is it installed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amit Phadnis
Advisor

what is DEC Forms run time and How is it installed?

Hello Team,

Can I know what is DEC Forms run time in VMS and how do we install it on server?

Also I want to know the command to check what all packages or softwares has been installed on the VM
Expecting the best solutions,

Regards,
Amit.
10 REPLIES 10
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
For info on DECforms have a look at:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/commercial/decforms/
To install it, you must get hold of the kit FORMSRTA033.A for OpenVMS Alpha (I'm not sure if that is the latest version). The kits are to be found on the CONDIST CDs.
How you can see what's already been installed on an OpenVMS server:
1. the command PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY
for kits installed with PCSI
2. the contents of the file SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL.HISTORY (on OpenVMS Alpha & IA64)
Hope this helps,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

In additon to what's been said so far

To check what software has been installed on OpenVMS VAX with VMSINSTAL its a bit more problematic but looking at
SYS$UPDATE:*.TXT
is a good start.

Hi,

Thanks for solutions.

One more query regarding the same,

is there a seperate CD for this product to install or Open VMS 8.3 ver OS CD have this in it.

I want to install this product on Open VMS 8.3 ver server.

Regards,
Amit.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As I said before, the installation kit for DECforms are to be found on de CONDIST CDs.
I think the kit FORMSRTA040 (that's DECforms run-time v4.0), can be found on the 4th CD of the "OpenVMS Alpha CD-ROM Distribution".
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Amit,

there is a nice little database search page for finding products on the Software Products Library CDs:

http://org.openvms.de/spl.php

Just search for 'DECforms' and select the 'Show kits ?' selection box.

Volker.
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Amit,

The DECforms Run-Time System provides a wide variety of form, panel, and field-level control and processing capabilities.

DECForms has two kits 1. DECForms development version and 2. DECForms Run-time version.

Understanding the DECForms license policy would clear your doubts.

License units for the Development System are allocated on an Capacity Basis by hardware tier or a Personal Use basis. Each Personal Use license allows one identified
individual to use the layered product.

License units for the Run-Time System are allocated on an Capacity Basis by hardware tier or a Concurrent Use basis. Each Concurrent Use license allows any one individual at a time to use the layered product. Some number of concurrent
use licenses must be purchased to support the concurrent number of users.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Amit Phadnis
Advisor

Hi All,

I checked the product list installed in the server by PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY command,
and in that one of the product I found it as follows,

DEC AXPVMS FORRTL V7.1-427

can u let me know that what is this the Dec Form runtime product?
If not, after installation of this product how I will identify it in the product list using the same command.

Regards,
Amit.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Amit,

FORRTL is the FORTRAN Runtime Library.

DECforms is still using the @VMSINSTAL installation procedure, so you won't find it listed with PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT.

You can search for it using:

$ SEARCH SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSAL.HISTORY FORMSRT

Or DIR SYS$HELP:FORMS*.RELEASE_NOTES

Volker.
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Amit,
DEC AXPVMS FORRTL V7.1-427 is NOT DEC Forms; it is the Fortran Run-Time Library.
DEC Forms is installed using SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL.COM, not PRODUCT INSTALL. History of products installed with VMSINSTAL can be found in the file SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL.HISTORY (at least on Alpha and Integrity).
To install DECforms you have to get hold of the correct CD from the CONDIST, mount that CD on an appropriate VMS system, copy the installation kits of DECforms to the system where you want to install it, and then invoke VMSINSTAL to actually install it.
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)