Operating System - OpenVMS
1748157 Members
4225 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: what is this message mean error code ?

sc_2
Occasional Contributor

what is this message mean error code ?

I am running vms5.2, system reboot itself with error message as following
04 isp err
pc = 801454b5
restarting system software
Thannks!
7 REPLIES 7
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

What type of VAX is it? Output could depend on type.
Anyway: check errorlog and system dump. I don't have a system that old at hand; it must be some ANALYZE option, I think /ERROR for the errorlog and /DUMP or /CRASH for the system dump. For errorlog, limit to errors occurring after minutes before reboot, otherwise it'l be too much ;-)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jeff Chisholm
Valued Contributor

here's how to get information out of the error log

we'll assume for this example that your error was at 08:19 on Tuesday the 12th. We'll bracket the error using /before and /since syntax:

$ ana/error/before=12-aug-2003:08:24/since=12-aug-2003:07:20/include=(cpu,me,ma,bug)/brief

If this is a MicroVAX, here's the translation of halt code 04. What processor do you have?

Regards, /jeff

>??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???Console Halt Codes And Error Messages For The MicroVAX II Processor ???
??? ???
???+------------------------------------------------------------------------- ???
???|HEX VALUE| MESSAGE | EXPLANATION ???
???+------------------------------------------------------------------------- ???
??? 04 ISP ERR In attempting to push state onto the interrupt ???
??? stack during an interrupt or exception, the ???
??? processor discovered that the interrupt stack ???
??? was mapped NO ACCESS or NOT VALID. ???
le plus ca change...
sc_2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the information, I am going to open the system up and clean all the boards, since at work here is dusty (manuf. plan).
I assume the m7555 and m7546 might dead.
for prev. reply the system is a micro vax 3800
(upgrade from a micro Vax II) very old system before I work here.
lol. but is a very good systems, this is the first time it gone down for the last 12-14 yrs.
we have another micro vax 3900, going for 10 yrs never gone down. Hate to see this type of system go.
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

If you're under pressure to move to new hardware (or even Windows), you could migrate your system to CHARON-VAX easily. Check out:

www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html

[This is a Shameless Plug (tm) from your friendly CHARON-VAX reseller.]
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

you _could_ also think of a (mutli-processor) Alpha, running openVMS AND Charon ( and have them clustered ;-)).
It's faster than a 3800 VAX anyway.
Willem Grooters
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I just found a bunch of old Digital manuals at URL: http://208.190.133.201/decimages/moremanuals.htm

(sorry about the adress - it's specifgied that way...I encountered the link via Dallas/FtWorh Usergroup, it _could_ be on their site but I.m not sure). There's info on PDP, VAX and periphirals, mostly hardware related I think I don't know if you're helped with it but it can be worthwhile to keep this URL in mind.
Willem Grooters
Jeff Chisholm
Valued Contributor

One other thing...
Our farm of old VAXes running old versions isn't quite what it once was, (recall how many early V5.n versions there were) but HILIFE is running V5.3, and STPALY is V5.5 There's a SYSGEN param with a default value of 4 that you could boost to 6, assuming you just ran out of space. INTSTKPAGES
le plus ca change...