108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: what to do with WBEM$ process

SOLVED
Go to solution
Byron Fowlkes
Advisor

what to do with WBEM$ process

during last night's maintenance on network hardware a switch/router configuration changed and today our OpenVMS cluster has its performance being degraded by a process named WBEM$CPQNIC on all nodes.. what can I do to investigate this process.. degradation means that this process alone is usurping most available CPU cycles and affecting normal user tasks.. I have no knowledge of this service?
You Brought Two Too Many
7 REPLIES 7
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Byron,

looks like a looping process. Shutdown WBEM (=Insight Management Agent) and restart it:

$ @SYS$SPECIFIC:[WBEM]WBEM$SHUTDOWN

and

$ @SYS$SPECIFIC:[WBEM]WBEM$STARTUP

Here is the pointer to the WBEM page at the HP site:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/mgmt_agents/

Volker.
Byron Fowlkes
Advisor

this answer seems to be correct.. after a bounce on each node this process subsided and things look much better now..I am unfamiliar with what this thing does but I certainly know more about it now.. much thanx Volker
You Brought Two Too Many
Hoff
Honored Contributor

That's a bug in one of the HP management agents.

If you have support in place, contact HP for help.

As part of calling up HP, you can sample the PCs (SHOW PROCESS /CONTINUOUS or such) to get an idea of what range of PCs are involved in what is probably a loop. Gather a dozen or two of the PC values.

You can also drop the process to priority zero and let it tussle with the idle process loop. Once you have some PCs, you can also then restart WBEM or force the process to suspend temporarily via SET PROCESS /SUSPEND, too.

When you contact HP, you'll be asked to confirm you are on the current version of the WBEM tools. If not, you'll be asked to upgrade to the current versions.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Byron,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 10 of 2 responses to my questions.

Some dating back to 2006!

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before please do not take offence none is intended!

PPS. Zero points for THIS entry, please.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

For what it's worth we had seen the looping NIC process at our site as well. We have updated the WEBES software a couple of times since the last occurrence.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Zeni,

the WBEM$CPQNIC process belongs to the WBEM software (Web-Based Enterprise Management, Product kit name: Vxx_MGMTAGENTS), now being replaced by HP SMH (System Management Homepage).

WEBES (Web Based Enterprise Services) is a collection of Service Tools (SEA, CCAT).

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

We reset our (old) webes stuff every night to prevent processes looping and memory eating.

We do :
stop desta
wait 1 minute
start desta
wait 2 minutes
start desta again because it sometimes fails the first time

fwiw

Wim
Wim