1752271 Members
4403 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: x.25 access on emulator

John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

x.25 access on emulator

Hi, I am trying to determine a solution for a customer wishing to move off his VAX hardware to an emulator. He currently has x.25 access using a dpv11 on the q-bus.
He wont have a q-bus on the emulator so what ethernet device can replace it? He is running VAXVMS V7.2 with DECnet IV. Possibly a DECNIS ???
Are there any others and what Layered Prod is needed for each device ?
Thanks, John.
14 REPLIES 14
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

If you are looking at charon-vax then it includes emulation of serial lines and these can be mapped to a multi-port pci card.
You can then use an opengear box of some sort (SD4002?) to get to ethernet.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Phil,

X.25 uses a SYNCHRONOUS line, not an ASYNCHRONOUS one. Synchronous interfaces are not available for CHARON-VAX.

John,

a DECnis or X25 Gateway (DEMSA Box) comes to mind. But they might be hard to get...

Volker.
Oswald Knoppers_1
Valued Contributor

If you upgrade (VMS) and install DECnet-Plus you could use LLC2 (over ethernet) and have some cisco box do the physical connection to the X.25 network.

Oswald

Hoff
Honored Contributor

And the alternative solution that wasn't mentioned...

...Add emulation for the DPV11 on the Q-Bus.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

John,
This begs the question, what are they using X.25 for, and who, or what are they talking to? I don't imagine the X.25 phone book is very thick these days. Maybe time to upgrade their comms?
A crucible of informative mistakes
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies so far.
I believe the DECNIS should be the way to go.
They are still available if you look hard enough.
The customer says that they expect that they will use x25 for a few more years yet.

I will keep this discussion open for a while yet in case there are more replies then I will assign points.
Best regards, JohnW.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

John,

the following thought just crossed my mind:

Can a DECnis or X.25 Gateway be used without DECnet-OSI ? Don't you need something like X.25 Access to talk to a DECnis ?

It's too long ago that I've seen X.25...

Volker.
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Volker,
I believe that PSI or PSI-access s/w is needed and this can be run with DECnet Phase IV.
I'm still searching for a VAX PSI SPD. So far I have had no luck. I think I have some VAX Layered Products CD's somewhere around. I have checked in a 1995 set but it must have been prior to this. Thanks.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

John,

P.S.I. Access V4.3 (UPI: 061AA) was available on the OpenVMS VAX Layered Product CDs from JUL-1991 until MAY-1993.

Here is a very handy tool to research something like this:

http://org.openvms.de/spl.php

Volker.